The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to acquire a free turtle tank that has one smashed side from a delivery incident at a local pet store. It's a Reptile One Turtle Eco 120. It has an internal sump and the recommended fill line only goes up about 2/3rds of the side. No lid or gear, just the tank.

Would it need extra bracing to use as a fish tank if we replaced the broken side? Would we need to drill the outlet hole higher or ignore the sump part entirely?

http://www.reptileone.com.au/manual/Turtle-Tank-instruction.pdf

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
I wouldn't trust filling up the aquarium past the line at all, even if you replaced the broken pane.

The other panes might not be the right thickness, so the only way for you to be safe is to replace all the panes, at which point, it'd be cheaper to just buy a proper aquarium

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't trust filling up the aquarium past the line at all, even if you replaced the broken pane.

The other panes might not be the right thickness, so the only way for you to be safe is to replace all the panes, at which point, it'd be cheaper to just buy a proper aquarium

My brother in law is a boilermaker. Would a metal frame/brace around the top make it ok or am I just asking for trouble? Thanks for the reply.

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
My brother in law is a boilermaker. Would a metal frame/brace around the top make it ok or am I just asking for trouble? Thanks for the reply.
Hard to say; it really depends on the thickness of the glass, whether or not it was sealed properly, etc.

For liability issues, I would not risk it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.