The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Inkbird as one of the sponsors and they are selling a temperature controller that is of interest to me. In using controllers and probes, one of my frustrations has been the probe. The cheap ones I have been buying are not fully waterproof but more what I would call water resistant. Work for a while then get wet!

So with that in mind, I have been looking at the specs for the Inkbird controller and generally like what I see. But that does bring a question on the probe rating. I find it rated IP68 which is the top rating for electronics equipment. Sounds good, works good for cellphones, etc but then I think of our use and wonder if it is enough.

IP68 means good for water exposure to something like 1.5 meter which should work for us but then that is only good for thirty minutes ? That's likely good to keep the cellphone dry if you drop it in the sink but is it good enough for our probes, even though it is the top rating?

Can we get more input on what we might really be expecting from the probes? Not to complain nor pick nits but then if it is good, I would not do the extra I normally do to waterproof my current probes. IP68 might be top rated but is that a pretty low bar to meet?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have two itc-1000 and have had 0 issues with the probes thus far. Ive been using them for several months and am happy enough I am going to build another controller box using the same controller.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, We both like the small ones we've been using. What got my attention was when reading about the IP68. It seems like it is okay to rate cellphones for staying underwater thirty minutes but that really doesn't say it is waterproof. Looking at definition of IP 68, I found the 6 is a rating for dust, etc, penetration and the 8 is for water. That seems like a good start on giving us a rating system to let us know what to expect but it seems to be pretty limited to things that we don't really expect to be in water but just wet.
But dealing with ratings is telling me that many things do go far beyond what the rating might require. Like I might like to find a probe to go 3 feet deep and stay forever?
:laugh2:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I have an Inkbird dual set point on my 125 gal SW reef system. I have been delighted with it so far. Easy to set up and it just works. I have it controlling a heater and a chiller.

Now if there is anything that is going to see how good a probe is, it's use in SW.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Yes, We both like the small ones we've been using. What got my attention was when reading about the IP68. It seems like it is okay to rate cellphones for staying underwater thirty minutes but that really doesn't say it is waterproof. Looking at definition of IP 68, I found the 6 is a rating for dust, etc, penetration and the 8 is for water. That seems like a good start on giving us a rating system to let us know what to expect but it seems to be pretty limited to things that we don't really expect to be in water but just wet.
But dealing with ratings is telling me that many things do go far beyond what the rating might require. Like I might like to find a probe to go 3 feet deep and stay forever?
:laugh2:
I guess what I was saying is my experience thus far gives me trust in the product.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may be a bit paranoid on electronics and water!!
One position I held was in a shop where we repaired the old style pagers. The kind that clipped on or you stuck in a shirt pocket? We also had lots of crafts people who worked in manholes which often had water. So with it being so easy for the pagers to wind up in water, we got a fair amount of work repairing them and found there was a big question on how long and how deep. If the water was a couple inches and they reached down and pulled it out, things were fine. But if the water was 8 feet deep or it took more than a few hours, we often lost the pager.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I think the concerns are legitimate @PlantedRich especially since most of us dont have a spare probe laying around. I keep spare gaskets and o-rings for my canisters so maybe a spare probe is something I should keep as well.

Addendum: One thing about the controllers you and I are using is the probes are easy for a layman to change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.