The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switched over to some new lights which consist of 2x 10000k, 6500k, and a 5500k t5ho bulbs. I noticed that the leaves of some of my plants are starting to have holes in them and a light brown burnt look to them. even the anubias thick leaves are starting to get holes. Is this too much light for a regular 20 gallon tank? I didn't change anything in my fertilizer dosing except i started using flourish excel about two week ago. I still have my old bulbs and will use those again if need be and sell the new ones(one week old).

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
That does sound like alot of light, am I reading that you have 6 bulbs over it?

As far as if plants can be harmed by too much light I'm not sure, I know if you take a terrestrial plant and but a bulb too close to hit it will turn it brown and kill it. I would suspect it more to do with plants adapting to the Excel or so other factor though.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use flourish excel for carbon and some diy co2 but maybe thats not enough. Does flow really hold a factor? I really didn't know that, no I didn't increase flow because my tank is only 20g and don't everthing blown away. Plus i don't know how to. I turned off both 10000k bulbs off for now until I figure this out.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe it is much, but i never had a problem like this before. could the two 10000k be the breaking point alone with the 6500k?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its a 24" Nova Extreme T5HO fixture with each bulb being 24watts, so I would say 96watts total. It sits about 4 to 5 inches above the water.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Its a 24" Nova Extreme T5HO fixture with each bulb being 24watts, so I would say 96watts total. It sits about 4 to 5 inches above the water.

The wattage isn't important though.

Those 4 T5HO bulbs with individual reflectors (which I think the extremes have) are probably 2-3 times the light a 96 watt Power Compact would get you. Thats a TON of light.

like more-than-needed-for-sps-corals-light.

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
It's really impossible to have too much light when dealing with aquariums IF you have the right balance. I have seen a 20g with six bulbs (freshwater). As long as you have a ton of plants, ferts, and co2 your good. However since you don't have pressurized co2, I'm going to have to say it's to much unless you get lots of co2 in there. Also, that twenty gallon didn't have fish because he needed the co2 so high. I would use only two bulbs if I were you.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Too much light will mean that co2 and ferts have to be impossibly high. You are chasing light, and apparently not dosing ferts?

Using LESS light, more co2, and more ferts, you'll never have a problem. Too much light is ALWAYS the cause to algae, particularly when too little co2 and ferts are used.

Add to that the obvious deficiencies you are getting from driving your plants too fast from too much light with too little ferts and you'll see it is a bad idea. You have at least 3x more light than you need...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Too much light will mean that co2 and ferts have to be impossibly high. You are chasing light, and apparently not dosing ferts?

Using LESS light, more co2, and more ferts, you'll never have a problem. Too much light is ALWAYS the cause to algae, particularly when too little co2 and ferts are used.

Add to that the obvious deficiencies you are getting from driving your plants too fast from too much light with too little ferts and you'll see it is a bad idea. You have at least 3x more light than you need...
thank you for helping me understand that, I will cut back the lights for sure now. maybe not enough co2 is the problem I know i put in enough ferts but definitely not enough co2.

are you sure you are not dosing too much Excel. this also melts some of the plants, my tonina showed melting within 2 days when i overdosed the excel.
I will also cut back to excel for a week to see if that makes a difference. I know something changed in the equation all of a sudden, I'm still confused because I was using two 10kk, a flora freashwater, and a actinic bulb before with no problems. I really want to invest in a pressurized co2 system. thank you guys for the help and the funny pictures, those gave me my laugh for today.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.