The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of fish in my heavily planted 45g. Can the respiration from the fish produce enough co2 to support the plant load?
Can a lot of fish reduce the amount of o2 in the water to the point that when there is no aeration the fish gasp? I would think that the plants would create enough o2 for the fish.
The surface agitation is minimal.
2 three inch discus
12 red-eyed tetras
8 black neons
6 serpae tetras
7 SAE's
4 otto cats
1 cory cat
1 twig cat
2 snails
2 blue rams
1 common small pleco
6 clams
I know its a lot but until recently it was a peaceful happy little aquatic world.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I think it's overstocked.

Plants use o2 at night and guess what else is too......everything in your tank.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand but I aerate at night and when I'm aerating the fish are fine. Its just when the bubbles stop the fish don't do so hot.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
fishymatty: You have asked the same question on another forum. And I answered it there. You are now shopping for an answer that you want to hear. Stop doing that and listen to reason.

Here, one more time is the answer from the other forum.

If the fish have room to swim then there are not enough fish in the tank to create adaquate CO2 levels.

The amount of dissolved CO2 has nothing to do with the dissolved O2 levels. This is about the 10th time and I'm about the 10th person to tell you that.

If you inject CO2 and aerate
the water it pretty much cancels out.

Now why the chart doesn't mean squat to you.

The pH/kH/CO2 chart is based on the assumption that the ONLY buffers in the system are bicarbonate based and that the ONLY thing lowering pH is CO2. If you have driftwood or peat in the aquarium it will add acids that lower the pH. Also some substrates will lower the pH. Some people add pH lowering chemicals thinking that adding them will add CO2.

IF YOU ARE NOT ADDING CO2 THEN YOUR CO2 LEVELS ARE AROUND 3 PPM. NO MATTER WHAT THE CHART SAYS.

I'm hoping that the color and larger font will make it easier for you to understand what you have been told three times.

Now. Stop shopping for the answer you want to hear. Some of this answer you have been told multiple times by different people. But you refuse to take the answer we are giving you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts