The Planted Tank Forum banner

Can this plant be saved?

620 5
I bought this anubias yesterday from a Petco plant tank. It looks to have blue-green algae on the leaves. I have bleached it, doused it in Hydrogen peroxide, but doesn't seem to make a difference. Nothing scratches off the leaves either. Can I save it? Or should I just trash it? I could also clip the affected leaves off, as there are a few that aren't affected. But I don't want anything to spread to the rest of my tank either. You can really only see it under water in the LED light.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
They do that a lot. If you get a cheap sponge with a pad on one side. Dip the sponge in some lightly salted warm water and very gently wipe the leaves with the pad. Cant see in the pic but dont plant it, tie it to a rock with cotton for best results.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hi, @AngeltheGypsy Welcome to the forum !

The plant can certainly be saved. Is the stuff on the leaves growing back ? Is it easy to scrub off? Is it more firmly attached ? Is it part of the leaf color ?

If bleached for ~2min in 1:19 bleach:water by volume than nothing but the plant should survive.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try a stronger bleach dip. I've tried scratching it off with my fingernail, but it's still there. It may be a change in pigment on the leaves, I'm not sure. My biggest concern is if it may be Cyanobacteria due to the blue-green color. I plan to save it for my 40B, so I planned to just wedge it in the driftwood for now.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Cyanobacteria in freshwater grows like a green-blue slime . If you just rub your finger over it, it will go detach. So from your description it should not be cyanobacteria.

It looks to me like either dense green spot algae, green round spots that are very hard to remove (in this case high P seems to reduce them) or green-yellow leaf zones from low nitrogen.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cyanobacteria in freshwater grows like a green-blue slime . If you just rub your finger over it, it will go detach. So from your description it should not be cyanobacteria.

It looks to me like either dense green spot algae, green round spots that are very hard to remove (in this case high P seems to reduce them) or green-yellow leaf zones from low nitrogen.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.