The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to walmart tonight and saw a 4 foot shop light and 2 bulbs under $20. I went ahead and bought it. I was thinking of hanging it over my 38 gallon planted tank. Do yall think it's string enough to grow plants?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
That is the exact combo I am using. I have it on a 75Gand I dont think it is quite enough for it but should work well on your 38.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've used our local hardware store's 48" shop lights with Spectralite's "Long Service High CRI 5000K" lamps for my tanks. If these WalMart ones are more intense and similar in phosphors, they should do fine.

I'm continually impressed with the quality of non aquarium use lamps nowadays.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thanks guys. I just want to double check before I spent all this time hanging it.

You could improve the efficiency of those tubes with a 4' piece of 1-1/2" white schedule 40 PVC cut in halves to provide some reflector parabolic behind the tubes. Leave them unpainted as white apparently works as well as polished aluminum. May need to trim or notch the DIY reflectors to fit in between the lamp receptacles.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not really sure I wanna go hacking on it lol. I'm just trying to think of something easy and simple for people like me. Don't have alot of tools or the knowledge of constructing stuff.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'd suggest using glass tops on your aquarium with that light to increase its longevity. Its not really a fixture that was meant to be in a moist environment so you could reduce the evaporative moisture that makes it to the electronics by covering the tank. I believe the 38s have a flat brace, unlike the raised type like on a 55, so you can just use a 36" Versa Top for that tank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.