The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that you can use generic super glue in aquariums. Can you use it while underwater to glue something that can't be taken out of the tank? Will it leech chemicals before it dries? I want to glue some moss to a piece of wood that I used silicone to put into the tank. The wood can't be taken out.

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
134 Posts
Yes you can use it. It’s not harmful, the water will actually help it cure even faster which makes it tricky to apply to the moss and then dunk it in the water and expect it to make a good bond with the surface. If you can’t remove it I would suggest lowering the water level so the area your trying to glue to is exposed. Dab it dry with a paper towel or cloth and make sure it’s clear of biofilm or algae so the contact is as good as possible. Then you can glue it and wait 5+ minutes before filling it back up. The gel type superglue works better because it won’t as easily run everywhere (which can be noticeable when it cures. Instead of glue, you can also tie the plants to the wood with cotton sewing thread which will eventually dissolve, but that may be tricky with the piece in the tank.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you can use it. It’s not harmful, the water will actually help it cure even faster which makes it tricky to apply to the moss and then dunk it in the water and expect it to make a good bond with the surface. If you can’t remove it I would suggest lowering the water level so the area your trying to glue to is exposed. Dab it dry with a paper towel or cloth and make sure it’s clear of biofilm or algae so the contact is as good as possible. Then you can glue it and wait 5+ minutes before filling it back up. The gel type superglue works better because it won’t as easily run everywhere (which can be noticeable when it cures. Instead of glue, you can also tie the plants to the wood with cotton sewing thread which will eventually dissolve, but that may be tricky with the piece in the tank.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have heard that you can use generic super glue in aquariums. Can you use it while underwater to glue something that can't be taken out of the tank? Will it leech chemicals before it dries? I want to glue some moss to a piece of wood that I used silicone to put into the tank. The wood can't be taken out.

At one time I had to use it, but for this it was necessary to pour out all the water from there and transplant all the inhabitants of the aquarium. The glue lasts for 3 years and no problem.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Superglue is set by hydrolysis, so touching water will speed up drying. If you have fast hand, you can glue it underwater. Apply the glue on the plant in air, and move quickly underwater to attach to the object. But it is much easier to drain the tank and glue in air.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.