The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've shared an image of this reactor below. The water goes in the top and comes out the bottom, and it seems co2 connects at the top. So far so good. I'm trying to understand the function of the 3 small outlets pictured on the left of the reactor body. The instruction manual says, "The Co2 diffusion rate is user selectable, and is selected by puncturing the diaphragm of one of the regulator fittings provided. The resultant co2 diffusion rate increases from the top regulator fitting which yields the lowest rate to the bottom fitting which yields the highest rate." How does putting a pin hole size leak in the side of this reactor change diffusion rate? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Diffusion meaning allowing the co2 out of the reactor. This is an intank reactor not one that sits under the cabinet. This alone makes it pretty worthless in my opinion as who would want this giant thing sitting in their tank bubbling around all the time? Anyway the quicker you get the water out of the reactor the quicker it gets into the tank right? So how do ya get it out faster? Poke a bunch of a holes in the reactor! Heh, or at least that's their thinking. I honestly think it's very poorly thought out all around as I never have a need for co2 diffusion in a hurry, that's why it's on a timer set to come on before the lights, by the time the lights activate co2 is already at appropriate levels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With 99% of water exiting through the bottom I'm not sure I follow the logic in your explanation. Or perhaps that was your point.. you think the design is stupid ;) I plan to place this in a sump so there will be no issue with it looking ugly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i think if i'm reading that description right, i believe the 3 diaphrams at the left are all plugged up, and you puncture a specific one that you want to use to inject the CO2. The dupla website says that reactor includes "1 x pin for puncturing the diaphragms of regulator fittings". Since the water flows from top to bottom, which one you pick will determine the contact time of the injected C02 with the water flowing through it. If you puncture the top closest to the inlet then it will have the least contact time, but if you puncture the bottom one it will have the most.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.