The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
They often sell the Ludwigia that looks like that because it's grown emersed, now the leaves will fall off and the new growth will look totally different, if that's what it is you might need some root tabs unless you have something under that sand, this is mine now (poor photo) it looks just a little different, huh.

It may be somrthing else there are several plants that look similar when grown emersed and I'm no expert but mine had green on top and the most beautiful hot red under each leaf.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Your Plant ID'd

Hello Venus...

Your plant looks very much like Hygrophila corymbosa "Stricta" or Giant Hygro. The hydroponics store where I get my liquid ferts grows this plant emersed. The red stems are very unique.

B

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
jmobray is correct. It's Ludwigia glandulosa (in the middle of converting). The easiest way to tell (among many other things) between that and Alternanthera reineckii is that L. glandulosa has alternate leaves (one leaf per node) and A. reineckii has opposite leaves (one on each side of the stem at the same level).

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
jmobray is correct. It's Ludwigia glandulosa (in the middle of converting). The easiest way to tell (among many other things) between that and Alternanthera reineckii is that L. glandulosa has alternate leaves (one leaf per node) and A. reineckii has opposite leaves (one on each side of the stem at the same level).
Huh...I never noticed that before lol. Well then again my L. glandulosa came submersed so I've never seen it emersed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.