The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a planted bowl by the window that receives a few hour direct sunlight. It's heavily planted and housed with snails, Amano and cherry shrimp. I have reduced feeding pellets to once a week, the critters are always foraging but still can't catch up with algae growth. I am thinking about eliminating feeding altogether and let the critters feed on algae alone. Do you think they will thrive without feeding?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
If the population is small enough and they are getting everything they need from algae and biofilm, then yes.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Yes, but with precaution. If it's the nice and "tasty" film algae, then sure. But if it's green spot or cyanobacteria, that's something they probably won't eat and should be scraped off the side of the bowl anyways.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, but with precaution. If it's the nice and "tasty" film algae, then sure. But if it's green spot or cyanobacteria, that's something they probably won't eat and should be scraped off the side of the bowl anyways.
Actually, I may have some Cyanobacteria beneath the substrate that appears blue, green and red through the glass. My concern are algae above the substrate and I have several varieties: gda, gsa, cladophora, green hair and spirogyra. Most are not severe with the exception of spirogyra which I have to pull out in strands every few weeks. I hope by not feeding the shrimp, they will help me clear them out.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If you're feeding them only once a week and they're still not eating the algae, then that algae is probably a species they can't/won't eat. Try some alternative algae eaters, like nerites or otos.

It may also be that they're eating it, but it's growing too fast for them. Maybe try shading the tank a little.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts