The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can RCS eat fish eggs?

I dont have fish in my RCS tank but after moving a plant from my fish tank to my RCS tank I ended up with a single little fry in there days later.

Assuming I never see fry in the fish tank because the fish eat the eggs. So I am wondering if the fish ate most of the eggs before I moved the plant or could the RCS of eaten the eggs?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
RCS will usually only eat the dead and rotting eggs. They may in extreme cases eat live eggs, but I have never heard of it happening.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I've seen a female cherry eating her own eggs.... definitely was not cleaning them!

Otherwise though, I think I agree Yukiharu.

Does the fish tank have cherries in it?

What type of fish are they?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Can RCS eat fish eggs?

I dont have fish in my RCS tank but after moving a plant from my fish tank to my RCS tank I ended up with a single little fry in there days later.

Assuming I never see fry in the fish tank because the fish eat the eggs. So I am wondering if the fish ate most of the eggs before I moved the plant or could the RCS of eaten the eggs?
Many species will spawn in your tank almost every morning. They just do a good job of eating all the eggs and wrigglers that survive, as they are captive in a small area. Removing fish from the tank, these little guys get a chance to grow up... works really well with danio for instance.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, no shrimp in the fish tank.

There is still just one fry from moving the plant into the RCS tank, so guess thats it.
Figured the fish ate all the eggs before I moved the plant but was unsure if the shrimp could have done it.
I never see any eggs.

Could only be rasbora or rainbow fish. I was able to find some Daphnia to feed it, hope it lives a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.