The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I am looking to setup kind of a terrarium outside using some aquarium plants and was wondering if the purple temple plant could be grown
emersed (out of water) or if it was an underwater plant only?

Thanks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi SpaceLord,

I cannot find the scientific name for 'Purple Temple Plant' so I cannot say if they are related species or not. Based upon what I read on a couple Australian websites the 'Purple Temple Plant' is not aquatic while the 'regular' Siamese Temple Plant (Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis') can be either aquatic or emersed grown.

·
Registered
963 Posts
From my little understanding this is Alternanthera reineckii purple you speak about.

Yes i was able to make it grow emersed, without wanting.

I think my tank was lacking light intensity (and co2) for this plant, it did grow in height and out of the water. I had it for many months that way. It lost the submerged leaves at one point. Alternanthera reineckii can be grown submerged, but it is a demanding plant as far as i know, about light and probably co2 too.

Michel.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From my little understanding this is Alternanthera reineckii purple you speak about.

Yes i was able to make it grow emersed, without wanting.

I think my tank was lacking light intensity (and co2) for this plant, it did grow in height and out of the water. I had it for many months that way. It lost the submerged leaves at one point. Alternanthera reineckii can be grown submerged, but it is a demanding plant as far as i know, about light and probably co2 too.

Michel.
Hi.

I was talking about purple temple plant which is different from the one you are talking about however now that you mentioned it, I do have serious issues with my Alternanthera reineckii plant and did not realize that it could also grow emersed.

No matter how much trace elements, iron or liquid C02, this plant always looks awful in my tank. Like its its always on the verge of dying.

I think I will try to grow this emersed and see if that helps.

Thanks for the great information.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yes but it was not very interesting, the submerged part became bare without leaves, ugly. I do not have this plant anymore, maybe later when my skills will improve, hopefully.

Michel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.