The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long time no see planted tank!

a while back i thought i was helping out my moms bf by giving him some plants. well there was some brown hair algae on the plants and it took over his tank so bad he had to restart from scratch. Now that we are restarting id like to offer him trimmings again but we are both worried about algae.

one of the plants i grow is growing about a foot out of my tank. if i trim a few of those would they be safe for his new tank?

thanks for the input

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Highly likely it would be safe- algae that prefers to be submerged usually will not grow above the water.
Note that plants growing above the water have certain adaptations to their leaves to live in the air, and they may not survive being placed under water.
Also, algae spores survive being in the air. The tank may still grow algae. It does not mean that your tank or the plants you shared were the source. The spores could have blown in from anywhere.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.