The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! This is my first canister filter. I’m not sure if it’s required to be below the tank. The tubing is very difficult to move and adjust. Here are some pictures. If anyone has any tips or can share pics of theirs that would be awesome! Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does this look? I got lily pipes. Should it be higher or lower? Is intake and co2 look like okay spots?

·
Super Moderator
15,767 Posts
How does this look? I got lily pipes. Should it be higher or lower? Is intake and co2 look like okay spots?
Most typically have intake on one side and outflow on the opposite but that's not a requirement as long as you have adequate flow. Pipe placement is really up to you and the needs of the tank. Appears that you have a decent ripple across the water surface, so there's enough movement for gaseous exchange. Are there any dead spots where things settle more than in other areas of the tank?

If you find yourself having dead spots in the tank as it progresses, then move things around a bit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it looks like the opposite side is very nice swaying, but closest to the outtake there is not much. My light need the middle area basically so the intakes and outtake have to go in the corners. Would the in take be in the opposite corner and in the back if I did it across?

I guess the pictures didn’t come through

·
Registered
25 Posts
I personally would look for a more seamless install, and plan the setup to accommodate the equipment needed. Whatever works works tho… Most canisters work best below the tank as it keeps air pockets out of the system. If you get some new hose length to move it, get a bucket of hot water and soak the hose for a minute or two to soften it up. 👍

·
Super Moderator
15,767 Posts
Important to keep in mind this isn't like the typical canister filter. It's a design long employed by companies like Zoo Med, Finnex and even Eheim once upon a time. While some filters of this style can work well beneath a tank (if they have decent enough pumps and strong seals), they're designed to also sit beside or behind a tank without any issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts