The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I could make a mat of Java moss to cover the bottom of my 5 gallon Eclipse hex tank with its 10 watt bulb & would use Schultz aquatic soil. It would house a few cherry shrimp and a Betta, and it would be the only live plant in the tank.

I am concerned that this may only invite major algae growth.

The tank has been up and running for quite a few months now with the Betta and silk plant and thought of this as I have too many Java moss clippings!

All input, as always, is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I don't see why not. I would bypass the soil, there's no need if there's only the Java moss and the silk plant. I have a rescue betta in a large rectangular vase with moss on the bottom and a snail, everyone seems to be doing well.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! You're comment on skipping the soil was great!
I have had the clippings for awhile now in small glass containers in a southern exposure window and just give them water changes from tank water and they're are staying fresh and green! They are sturdy plants! Thanks again.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information Spypet.
Since the betta is alone in the tank, controlling food amounts is easy.
Besides the bio wheel, I keep two Fluval foam pads in place of where the carbon packet would normally go and I have a good sized piece of sponge on the filter intake tube to help with cutting the current down, so hopefully I have enough biofiltration going in the tank.

BUT, now, after rereading your post, I think I'll add some substrate. It's easy to do, and I'd rather be safe than sorry, and I'm sure the occupants would appreciate that. Thank you again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I keep two Fluval foam pads in place of where the carbon packet would normally go
Great Idea!! I have one of the 3 Gallon Eclipse tanks and never thought of using foam pad as a replacement for that "Z" filter. The filters on my tank have a plastic piece that you fold up to channel the water to the bio-wheel. Do you add anything like that with the Fluval foam pads?

Brian

·
Registered
562 Posts
Just as an aside, and something to think about: A lot of people who keep bettas "traditionally" (in a smallish glass container with no filtration) keep them without gravel and just java moss... the idea being that when it comes time to do a water change, you just stick the net over the neck of the jar, java moss falls into the net, betta onto the squishy bed of moss, you refill the jar, add conditioner, drop moss+betta back in and it's good to go. This is more for if you're breeding bettas or something and have many jars and not a lot of time to do water changes once a week or so... or a lot of space for little filters for each jar for each betta, etc.

I used to do this, but I found it to be kinda boring and since I don't breed bettas... I just upgraded my two bettas to a divided 10gl with stuff in for them to explore. :) They seem a bit more active (or did, for a few months, now they're starting to find more loungey places, I assume they are slowing down as they age)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.