The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
From the manufacturer's website:
What is a Aquatic Soil Perfector? Printer Friendly

Aquatic Soil Perfector is made from a naturally derived, ceramic granule that is kiln fired at temperatures in excess of 2000°F. This process created a durable granule containing thousands of tiny storages spaces that can hold oxygen and nutrients for plant roots to absorb. These granules are non-toxic, sterile and 100% inert. And unlike many potting soils containing peat moss, compost or other organic matter, Aquatic Soil Perfector’s granules will not float, decompose, or cloud the water in your pond when used as directed. Use Aquatic Soil Perfector for all potted aquatic plants such as water lilies, iris, lotus and others.

All Natural Soil Media for Potted Aquatic Plants

• Won’t float or cloud water.
• Anchors plants in pots.
• Non-toxic. Safe for all fish.
• Won’t clog pumps.
• Long lasting. Won’t degrade.
• Won’t affect pH.
• Holds oxygen and nutrients.

Directions

• Thoroughly rinse Aquatic Soil Perfector’s granules to remove any dust and ensure proper anchoring of plants.

• Line the bottom of your pot with 2 inches of Aquatic Soil Perfector.

• Set the plant in the pot and fill the pot with Aquatic Soil Perfector to about 1 inch below the rim of the pot.

• Top off the pot with decorative stones or gravel and sink pot slowly into water pond.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
sounds good.. You can use it.. But I wouldn't cover it with sand.. You'd want it to absorb nutrients and sand will seal it off from any nutrients. Plus, over time, the sand will settle to the bottom of the substrate anyway.

Can you take a picture of the stuff inside the bag? I want to see if it's a pretty color. I'm using shultz's AS now, and it' orangish.. It's ok looking.

It's hard to find espoma's stuff btw. You're lucky.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now the picture I posted is not the aquatic kind. The nursery has the aquatic kind but it's a 10 lb bag where the kind I have now is a 37 lb bag. I don't want to cut the bag open until I know for sure I can use the non aquatic kind that I have now or if I need to take it back and get the aquatic kind. I did see a piece of it and it's a gray colored chip.

Jerry

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
cool. Gray would make a nice soothing subtrate.

It doesn't sound like there's too much a difference in the aquatic & regular. Maybe there's a bifference in size. The aquatic might be a little bigger so it won't float or something.

You can ask the people selling the stuff. They'd open a bag for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok here's a pic of a sample I just took out of the bag.......BTW on the back of the bag it says it can be used for water gardening and hydroponics.

[/URL][/IMG]

I thought I would be looking more for something that looked like dirt or potting soil and not small rocks. Oh and I got 4 37 lb bags for $ 12.99 each

Jerry

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also I just thought about if I put Cories in the tank, will this stuff cut off their wiskers? Or could I layer this stuff with some small aquarium gravel? What I'm trying to do is a planted Discus tank with rummy nose and neons etc. It's a 125 gallon so I can have a good population of fish.

Jerry

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
hmm. You might want to check out the aquatic ones.. They are too sharp and they'll cut the fishes.

Cool color though. Maybe they can be the bottom of the substrate, and the aquatic version can be on top. Or regular gravel. Sand will definitely settle with this stuff on the bottom.

And yeah, they're small rocks. They were clay that was fired.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.