The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I recently bought a really long Plastic pot which is 25 inches long and 6 gallons in volume. I want to use it as a plant growout tank, I have a Soil Less Potting mix which includes Coco Peat Organic Fertilizer Vermicast Carbonized Rice Hull Organic compost Compost rice hull. I also have some leftover aquasoil (around 1kg) and white sand to top it off. Will it work?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've seen people use dried up dirt from their garden, as well as potting soil you can get at a hardware store,

you will be fine, just cover the nutrient layer with some fine sand and you're good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi! I recently bought a really long Plastic pot which is 25 inches long and 6 gallons in volume. I want to use it as a plant growout tank, I have a Soil Less Potting mix which includes Coco Peat Organic Fertilizer Vermicast Carbonized Rice Hull Organic compost Compost rice hull. I also have some leftover aquasoil (around 1kg) and white sand to top it off. Will it work?
In my experience it does work. Just know that rescaping plants can be quite messy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Got dirt from my garden, mixed with some coarse sand and a touch of homemade organic compost in one of my tanks. Even put a nice general spread of Miracle Gro fertiliser on the very base. I then topped it with a layer of children's play sand. Works great, plants love it. Fish all doing well. Not going to put any shrimp in there for a long while though. Maybe an amano or 2 but nothing delicate.

Potting soil should be fine, make sure you layer it on top with an inch or so of sand though. Else things could get murky. I would definitely bake it in the oven for an hour also. Make sure no nasties or anything are in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts