The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use amphibian/reptile vitamins for fish or would I be better off using fish specific vitamins?

Can I use marine vitamins for fresh water fish?

Anybody know where I can get vitamins in bulk? I know they must sell it to fish farmers and people who make and sell their own fish food. I need more than just a little bottle but I'm not large scale or anything so I don't need a ton. But paying $10ish for a small bottle of vitamins is kind of crazy and isn't cost productive.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Yes you can. It's all the same stuff usually: calcium, vitamin C, minerals, various amino acids. But when people make fish food they seldom add supplements. I don't know of many fw recipes but in sw it normally is a slurry of clams, shrimp, a fatty oily fish like mackeral or sardines with ground seaweed and garlic for flavoring.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem with that, that I can see, is the thiaminase of those kinds of fish and some inverts.

There's some science to it and I don't want to end up having my fish die on me or become unhealthy from deficiencies so the supplement assurance would make me feel better, even though I know that supplements aren't a replacement for natural sources.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I have no idea what to say lol. I'm not a ichthyologist. But I will say that few people diy fish food for freshwater species. Saltwater animals normally are more picky, thus the diet consisting of meaty foods and garlic. If you want your fish to remain healthy I suggest finding a staple pellet diet and supplementing with live and frozen foods.

I also doubt you'll seriously need too much of any supplement. Pure seafood and seaweed mixes are staples for a lot of sensitive fish out there along with corals.

Here's a quick source: www.melevsreef.com/food.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.