The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 gallon high freshwater planted tank and I have a marineland 24-36 inch reef led light. My plants have been slowly turning brown then transparent and withered away. Is it because of the light or is it something else?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have a 20 gallon high freshwater planted tank and I have a marineland 24-36 inch reef led light. My plants have been slowly turning brown then transparent and withered away. Is it because of the light or is it something else?

Thank you.
Can you include water parameters, substrate used, fert routine if any, etc etc.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'm going to defer to others who know more about lighting than I. What kind of plants do you have as I think that is a low tech light?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes this is a low tech tank. I have anubias java fern, Java moss, Amazon swords, and a plant I did not know the name of. The plants that died were penny worts. Anacharis, and hornworts.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
You have to really be on top of your game to use that light on a 20G. On a 20G it would be very high light. Even with co2 you need lots of good growing plants. Is there algae as well?
I looked at that specs on that light and it really didnt seem like much. Just shows I have a lot to learn about led lighting.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Yes there are algae growing. If it is high light was it burning my plants? What should I use instead?
I don't think it's possible to 'burn' plants with these lights, it's just the light is too powerful for what your providing the plants, namely co2. The stronger the light the more ferts and co2 you need. If provided any plant will grow faster, even your lowlight ones like Anubias. If you want to use that light you need to raise it, provide co2 and probably reduce the lighting period.

I looked at that specs on that light and it really didnt seem like much. Just shows I have a lot to learn about led lighting.
I'm far from a lighting guru especially with LEDs. I actually have that light that I plan to use with a high tech setup. Did you look at the specs for the Marineland 'REEF' that one is pretty powerful.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'm far from a lighting guru especially with LEDs. I actually have that light that I plan to use with a high tech setup. Did you look at the specs for the Marineland 'REEF' that one is pretty powerful.
This is the light I looked at:
Marineland Reef LED Aquarium Strip Lights | LED Aquarium Lighting | PetSolutions

The spec I looked at was the lumens which at 2720 didn't seem like all that much in a 20H. When I went and lookup what I am going to be running on the same tank I am running about 2/3 that lumns number. Thanks for helping me learn something today!

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.