The Planted Tank Forum banner

Can I use lava rocks as shrimp substrate?

485 5
Hello! New to the forums. I’ll be moving my betta to a 10 gallon, leaving my 5 gallon empty. I thought I’d try a shrimp only tank with RCS. Can I use the crushed lava rocks that are currently in the 5 gallon tank for the shrimp? I’ve read some stuff that suggest you have to have a “shrimp specific substrate” but it doesn’t really say why this is necessary.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
562 Posts
You are fine with what you have. It could be much better for shrimp to be introduced to a mature aquarium rather than using "shrimp specific" substrate. Im not convinced there is any legitimate reasoning behind a "shrimp specific" substrate. Your established substrate will be a great food source for new shrimp. If you wanted to change it for aesthetics, then go ahead and change it out!

· Registered
402 Posts
Hello! New to the forums. I’ll be moving my betta to a 10 gallon, leaving my 5 gallon empty. I thought I’d try a shrimp only tank with RCS. Can I use the crushed lava rocks that are currently in the 5 gallon tank for the shrimp? I’ve read some stuff that suggest you have to have a “shrimp specific substrate” but it doesn’t really say why this is necessary.
Some shrimp "species Caridina" like soft water with low GH "general hardness" with very low to zero KH "caribinated hardness" and cooler water temperatures. Most shrimp specific substrate is designed for the Caridina shrimp because it will remove KH from the water. The level of KH removal all depends on the initial KH of the water.
All of this is irrelevant because you want to keep RCS aka "red cherry shrimp" which is the " Neocaridina Davidi species". "Neo's" RCS can be kept in all sorts of different KH, GH levels and a wide range of temperatures. The gravel you got is just fine for them and like " GoodWood" stated is mature and doesn't need to be cycled plus has bio film and algae in it which the shrimp will snack on.

· Administrator
17,898 Posts
Note that Neocaridina are also a cool water species and will not need a heater.

And while they're adaptable, there are also general ranges you'll want to be in for ideal parameters. So a lot more reading on your part is going to be necessary, @Sunny22. Just spend a couple weeks reading here in the shrimp section and you'll be good to go.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Note that Neocaridina are also a cool water species and will not need a heater.

And while they're adaptable, there are also general ranges you'll want to be in for ideal parameters. So a lot more reading on your part is going to be necessary, @Sunny22. Just spend a couple weeks reading here in the shrimp section and you'll be good to go.
Thanks for the advice! Definitely doing more reading before buying any shrimp.
in winter my house runs between 62-68 (I turn it down to 62 at night). Is that too cold for shrimp?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts