The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I would say yes. I remember somewhere saying silicone I was fine but silicone II wasn't. Just check to see if it has anything besides silicone in them such as antifungus stuffs.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I will second the motion of yes, you can use it. Just make sure it does not contain the new "bio" stuff. The jury is still out on whether or not its harmful to the fish.

My recommendation, as well as someone else on here if they see this post, would be GE RTV-108. Super Strong, and you can use really thin seals.

Hint, check out the sticky on top of this forum!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I made my own "in tank" background and used several tubes (the kind you use a "gun" with) and have had no issue for over a year now. The window and door type is fine. The type for bathrooms is not, as it contains a mildew inhibitor. However, you'll find folks that have used this as well without issue. I've not tried it, and probably won't, but the type you're asking about is simply 100% rubberized silicone, which is exactly what the "aquarium silicone" is, but at about 1/10th the cost.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Silicone I is YES. Silicone II is NO.
One tube is enough for a 28 gallon tank, but I would get two just to be sure. Use the Window and Door.

Be sure to work in a WELL VENTILATED AREA!! I STRESS THIS because the smell will make you dizzy as it gets VERY VERY strong.

Use masking tape to make a "border" for the seal so that it will be straight and not jagged and curved and splotchy like my 30 gallon reseal.
Let cure for at least 3 days for best results.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you have a Grainger near you, you can pick up the GE RTV-108 for 6$ for 10.1oz cartridge. This stuff

Get 2!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I recently used the GE silicone I for the window. it should work. I used 5 bottle for my 150 tall tank. if you have a 30g then i should recommend at least 2 because it dry quick and you won't have time going to the store to get another.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As everyone's said, use GE I. It has no additives in it.
HOWEVER
Go with the GE RTV 108. The extra strength is really a must for larger tanks (IMO 55g+)

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I just want to inform people to inspect the freshness date of their tube before using the Silicone. It turns out a tube I had just purchased had a made on date of 10/2005. When I called Dow Corning, then informed me the shelf life is only 1 year, and I should not use that tube. I called the reseller, who agreed, pulled his old stock out of circulation, and credited my purchase. It's probable the Silicon is useful for years after it expires, but I suppose Dow Corning does not want to be responsible for it's use after a certain date.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So is the GE RTV safe just like the GE Type I for aquarium use? I have noticed a lot of talk here about it and if it is stronger then I might as well get that...

Also I'd like black seams like my aquarium currently has and I cannot find the black type I anywhere in my area but pretty sure that Grainger store someone mentioned has the RTV available in black. I guess if it comes down to it I will still use clear but just a preference I guess.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would just like to add some clarifications. GE RTV is safe for aquariums. In fact, it is what many of the aquarium builders use, and it is much stronger than many of the retail types of silicone. Any silicone that is truly 100% silicone is ok. As mentioned, GE Silicone I (window and door, without the mold inhibitor found in bath and tile versions) is ok for tanks. Also, and contrary to some opinion, you can find 100% GE Silicone II that does not have mold inhibitor as well that is better and stronger. I have even read of many examples of people using mold inhibitor products successfully after a long cure time, but I would not recommend this.

I would most certainly use GE RTV if I were resealing an aquarium. I might consider the others for smaller jobs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
yeah, thanks for the clarfication. I am doing a large tank so I will for sure get the RTV... I like overdoing things anyways and if it means keeping 90 some gallons of water off my floor then its definitely worth it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
so how many tubes (the reg caulk gun size) of this stuff do I need to get?? I have a 92 gallon corner aquarium I am resealing.

How many tubes did all you guys use when doing yours and what size tanks did you do?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well I went to Grainger this afternoon as someone in this thread suggested to see if they had the GE RTV series of silicone and that they did. They even had black like I wanted! So there is one more project to add to the list to get done. I am currently going to be building a custom canopy and am stripping the paint off the stand to re-stain. Then it will look nice and also match the canopy I am building!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts