The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!
I am setting up a planted tank with cherry shrimp and Celestial pearl danios and I was wondering if co2 would help at all or would it be bad for my tank?

list of plants:
Anubias,
Cryptocoryne
Banana lily aka the brain plant
Water Wisteria
Water lettuce?
Carpets: pearl weed and or dwarf sag
Java fern
Moss: Java moss, Subwassertang
Bucephalandra

This is my second proper tank so I am still a beginner learning about co2

edit: It is also a ten gallon, and don鈥檛 worry, I have not set up the tank yet and these are just plans for my new tank. I would just like to know about it before I do anything 馃憤馃徑

Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
I think most of those plants on your list are easy slow growers and CO2 may not be necessary. CO2 will speed growth in the plants so if you want it go for it.

Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
you can do co2 on any tank. Water Wisteria I think will be growing pretty fast for a 10g. you'll likely be trimming 1-2 times a week. especially with added co2. You don't have your light listed. You will want enough light as well if you do co2.

If you do co2, remember when you increase one thing you will want to increase everything across the board. so co2 goes up, more photosynthesis can take place so more light will be needed(not a lot, but still) and then they will want nutrients more too. So I maybe try an all-in-one. But best thing would be to test your tap water thoroughly to find out what it has. maybe get the report form the city. Then you can see what deficiencies are in the water so you can replace it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
you can do co2 on any tank. Water Wisteria I think will be growing pretty fast for a 10g. you'll likely be trimming 1-2 times a week. especially with added co2. You don't have your light listed. You will want enough light as well if you do co2.

If you do co2, remember when you increase one thing you will want to increase everything across the board. so co2 goes up, more photosynthesis can take place so more light will be needed(not a lot, but still) and then they will want nutrients more too. So I maybe try an all-in-one. But best thing would be to test your tap water thoroughly to find out what it has. maybe get the report form the city. Then you can see what deficiencies are in the water so you can replace it.
my tap has a ph of 8.2 but it鈥檚 drops down to 7.4 in a day and it also has slightly hard water and has some minerals, I live in Kansas so there is limestone where the tap is coming from. sorry to be a newb here but how do I raise the other nutrients? I use all in one easy green so should I just start dosing it more if the carbon rises? I considerEd and reconsidered and I just hesitated to decide to add carbon, If you say it鈥檚 beneficial then I鈥檒l surely use it. Thanks 馃檪
edit: I will probably use co2 if you all say it鈥檚 fine, I will probably have to trim a lot of excess plant growth though but I was planning on do that anyway, thanks for all your answers.

Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
my tap has a ph of 8.2 but it鈥檚 drops down to 7.4 in a day and it also has slightly hard water and has some minerals, I live in Kansas so there is limestone where the tap is coming from. sorry to be a newb here but how do I raise the other nutrients? I use all in one easy green so should I just start dosing it more if the carbon rises? I considerEd and reconsidered and I just hesitated to decide to add carbon, If you say it鈥檚 beneficial then I鈥檒l surely use it. Thanks 馃檪
everything needs carbon basically to grow on this planet. so add more cos2 for them to build faster. The nutrients.. easiest is just to with one of those all in ones. the Easy Green I believe is a good one.

What I personally do right now is... well it's not straight forward so I am just going to number what I did in order and how I use them now at the end. Please read them all, there are hidden tips that will be good to know.

1. bought a generic all in one, didn't see a difference

2. didn't know how to use Nitrate test, added Nitrates, didn't need it

3. learned how to use Nitrate test never need to add nitrates. lol. But I learned that there is a correlation with all the nutrients. also learned fish can live with Nitrates at 200+ppm. took over a month doing normal water changes to bring this back to normal. didn't loose a single fish.

4. bought test kits for GH/KH and then another for Phosphates I think? Nothing alarming here, just wanted for better all around testing parameters.

5. read that holes in plant leaves can be from lack of Potassium, so I ordered Potassium Phosphate and put a little in from time to time(Potassium Chloride is fine, the chloride goes straight to gas and escapes the water, doesn't turn into chlorine in your tank). I do not do anything measured. I mean I learned at the beginning what the recommended dose is and just make up my own that is close to but likely lower. (at some point I bought Iron for the same reason, holes in leaves, I dose the same, randomly[every other week] put a little in).

So now each weekend I put in a little iron or a little Potassium Phosphate, alternating weeks. I know this isn't ideal, but I will never have to worry about too much. lol. I do it after weekly water changes. I also want to buy a solution for the Micro nutrients. These that I use and the micro nutrients pack I want to get are all powder. I keep a cup just for this. I put in a little of the powder, again less than recommended as I am not doing high tech, I am like.... mid tech. lol. anyway, little powder, stir really well with tank water then add it back in little bits all over the tank. or every time I walk by at the filter output until it's gone(stirring each time).

The original all-in-one I mentioned I put only in my 10 and 5 gallon tanks now. It is low in the amounts of minerals so a squirt or two isn't going to break anything and everything I have is planted. all tanks are still growing in. I went BIG, I didn't go home -- and keep getting more. ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok ty. I have a gh and kh test but I haven鈥檛 used it yet. it is very easy for me to lose track on which nutrien is which. Thanks for the tips I will definitely use them. But what did you mean by 鈥淚t is low in the amounts of minerals so a squirt or two isn't going to break anything and everything I have is planted.鈥
I also think it is a good idea to add iron every weekend so I guess it鈥檚 time to go back to aquarium co-op lol.
The nutrien and fertilizer thing is more complicated than I thought.

again, thanks

Registered
Celestrial pearl Danios are beautiful fish but they dont live very long. Ive bought a group of 5 twice, two different sets of water parameters, the 2nd set in very clean water with a tds of 150-175. Anyway in both cases they all died one by one over a couple months.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Celestrial pearl Danios are beautiful fish but they dont live very long. Ive bought a group of 5 twice, two different sets of water parameters, the 2nd set in very clean water with a tds of 150-175. Anyway in both cases they all died one by one over a couple months.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
Ok, I was considering other stocking since there are a lot of opt for a ten gallon.
the cpds were the only fish that I saw were safe with shrimp.
Although I have plenty of time to consider my stocking.
thanks for the warning!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.