The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Normally, you would use a 19:1 dilution of bleach:water for disinfection purposes. Dip times can be as short as 30 seconds to as long as 2 minutes depending on the type of plant you have.

However, mosses are in general, quite sensitive to bleach, so may not even survive a 30 second dip.

·
Registered
28 Posts
"19:1 dilution of bleach:water for disinfection purposes"

I'm pretty sure you got that backwards. Shouldn't that have been
"19:1 dilution of water:bleach for disinfection purposes"

I think you want 19 parts of water for each part of bleach. The other way around would really kill the moss.

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
"19:1 dilution of bleach:water for disinfection purposes"

I'm pretty sure you got that backwards. Shouldn't that have been
"19:1 dilution of water:bleach for disinfection purposes"

I think you want 19 parts of water for each part of bleach. The other way around would really kill the moss.
Ah yes, of course.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Let's say we use a cucumber. Put it in a fish net, put the fish net with the cucumber in the tank overnight. Pull the fishnet out before you turn the lights on. It will be crawling with snails
I actually prefer carrots because they breakdown a lot slower than cucumbers and the snails (especially the baby ones) stick out like a sore thumb. I have a plant weight with a fishing line tied to it so the carrot is weighed down and i can retrieve it without having a big net in there. You will want to leave the carrot in there for awhile after all of the visible snails have been removed because there still might be eggs waiting to hatch.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A nice little loach like the yoyo or kubutai will keep snails in check pretty well and are fun to watch.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't have any shrimp so I don't know. He doesn't bother a thing (except "when" I had snails).

You can only put 1 male beta in a tank.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I suggest you are looking at the wrong side of the question.
Grow your own moss that is snail free.

I'd start by pulling small bits of moss and allowing it to grow in a quarantine tank or plastic cup. If you seen any critters after a few weeks, start over.

I got my Riccia - which I have to thin often - from one tiny bit that came in with java moss shipped with shrimp.
I got Christmas moss from one little sliver that grew and grew.

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.