The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a stupid question, but it's such a controversial topic I just want to make sure: is it safe for me to treat my betta's minor fin rot with Bettafix?

I used to have two Endler-Guppies in the tank with my Betta and the larger Endler always had a knack for nipping and bullying his tank mates. I had put him in isolation before to help calm the behavior (didn't have an additional tank at the time) and it seemed to work, until recently. I've been busy setting up a new 20 G tank that he seemed to have noticed I wasn't keeping a close eye on the tank anymore. Started nipping at my Betta really bad. I removed them yesterday and tossed them into the now cycled 20 G tank (they seem happier with the rasboras).

Today, I notice the tips of my betta's fins are turning red, first signs of fin rot. I immediately put him in a 2.5 gallon bucket with clean water, indian almond leaves, AQ salt, and an airstone. SoCal keeps all my tanks at a constant 80 degrees Fahrenheit so I didn't bother with a heater. I'm running to my local petsmart to pickup more AQ salt and was wondering if I should get a bottle of Bettafix as well? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
The salt should be enough. Maybe a 10 minute bath in double dose methylene blue once or twice a day too.
If you want to medicate, get Maracyn/Maracyn 2 combo, or jungle labs Fungus Clear. I'd try the latter first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts