The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I cut down my tree and I want to use one of the logs as driftwood. The log is 2.5 feet long and 1 foot wide. I cut the bottom of it on a slant so it would be slanted in the tank. But I was wondering is it okay to leave the log solid or should I hollow out the log? The tree was oak. So its some good wood. I am going to boil it. Then freeze for a couple of days and then boil it again. Then im going to put it in a tub of water after about a hour im going to put it in another tub filled with my fish tank water. After about another two hours im going to let it dry. Then im going to get some water safe silicone and glue the slanted part to some slate tile. Do you think this is okay to do? I dont want to hollow it out but if I have to that is fine. Also how do I get moss to attach to the driftwood. Im going to try with some store bought driftwood and if its good im going to out it on the log to. If there is a crack in the log do you think it is possible to get a plant to shoot its roots in there and start growing from the driftwood?

·
Registered
199 Posts
IMO, u should let it dry fist... then do all the boil and rest of the water logging process.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hollowing it out will allow it to dry out faster and also reduce buoyancy when you get around to sinking the piece in your tank. It will also turn the log into a great hiding spot.
right... or you can fill it w/ rock or slate for it to sink quick. it'll take a LOT of water logging, for it to stay under water.... be an easy way for it to stay under w/out having to glue it on slate tile.

and to attach moss, all you have to do is tie few pieces w/ fishing line, & let it grow around/on it. checkout the pics on my signature "55 gallon" section, you'll see a small piece of DW has star moss on it (tied w/ FL). and for plants to grow out of it (e.g. Lace/Windelov Java Fern), you can attach it to the back side (away from sight) and it'll look like it's growin out of the wood. or you can push it in the crack as you were planning on... g/luck. :biggrin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay so I hollowed it out and I'm going to let it dry. Then sine I hollowed it out about 6 inches after it drys I am going to put a 6 inch pvc pipe. So it will be like a hiding/breeding cave. Also can I get plants to attach to the wood to like get the roots to grow into the wood. I was also thinking about taking another log and drilling 3-4 inch deep holes to put a small potted plants inside. Would this be okay? The tank I am going to out these it is going to be a medium planted tank. I have the plants already in a 125 gallon tank. But I am upgrading to a 300 gallon and I am waiting till these two pieces are done to set up the tank. I will post pics of tank when done. But it will be in the next year or so.

·
Registered
199 Posts
yep, around 200° in the oven. but u've got to keen an eye on it, since the bark and smaller edges could set on fire... safest wood to use would be to find one that's already been water logged. If u find any around the lake area, just make sure it "hard" rather soft/spongy... those are not suitable for your tank.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea I know but I have a idea of how I want my planted tank to work and I really need a 3 foot log. I go fishing by the local river/stream with my dad there is always wood in the water. But either its molded in dirt or when I try to get it out of water. I some how push it instead and it drifts away. Haha driftwood drifts away wow. I also read you need to take the bark and any loose pieces off is this true? Can't I just take the bark off and then put it in the oven. I am mostly home on Sunday and I was thinking after I make it hollow strip the bark stick it in the oven for a while then toss it in my mini pond in the back yard. Then after like a month or if it starts to snow take it out and boil it. I kno I will need to seal it to some rock or tile and thats what I was planing to do with it in the first place.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.