The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5g nano shrimp tank which I was having a lot of trouble with (4 out of 15 died) and the shrimp always hang out at the top of the tank. I was told this may be an oxygen issue, and to me this did not seem unlikely, so I purchased an air stone- however the issue is that it is agitating the water too much, and it is also quite loud. Would I be able to only leave it on for a few hours a day and still receive adequate oxygenation? The tank is fairly heavily planted so the air stone is not the only source of oxygen…

·
Super Moderator
16,039 Posts
I have a 2.5g nano shrimp tank which I was having a lot of trouble with (4 out of 15 died) and the shrimp always hang out at the top of the tank. I was told this may be an oxygen issue, and to me this did not seem unlikely, so I purchased an air stone- however the issue is that it is agitating the water too much, and it is also quite loud. Would I be able to only leave it on for a few hours a day and still receive adequate oxygenation? The tank is fairly heavily planted so the air stone is not the only source of oxygen…
If there's no ripple on the surface of the water or agitation from filtration, then you'll likely need to continue using an airstone.

You can adjust airflow with an in-line nozzle that costs a couple bucks/pounds for a multipack. Can also buy cheap air pumps that are quiet by design - some have rubber feet to prevent vibration noise as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If there's no ripple on the surface of the water or agitation from filtration, then you'll likely need to continue using an airstone.

You can adjust airflow with an in-line nozzle that costs a couple bucks/pounds for a multipack. Can also buy cheap air pumps that are quiet by design - some have rubber feet to prevent vibration noise as well.
Cool, I’ll buy one of those nozzles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts