The Planted Tank Forum banner

Can i swap the actinic blue bulb for a 6700k daylight on an odyssea fixture

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  nicks7.1985 
#1 ·
think on the packaging i says not to mix the bulbs with the different "sockets". i want to do it anyway i dont like the bule too much..has anyone ever done it with odyssea?

#5 ·
you can switch them however you want. do they "label" the switches? maybe they don't want you to change the bulb spots so you don't get confused or something? There's no reason at all that one socket would be any better or worse for different color bulbs than another since the sockets and bulbs are both equal in every way that counts (to the fixture).

#6 ·
Unless they're actually using two completely different types of lights (not just different colors), with incompatible sockets.

That would be very odd, and I've never heard of such a thing.

What model fixture is it? Are the two bulbs actually shaped differently?

#12 ·
It is quite a bit of light for your aquarium.

If you can keep up with the plants, then you can swap out the actinic for another bulb. However, you will have a lot of maintenance to do with 2x54W T5HO bulbs over an aquarium that size...

#13 ·
thanks darkblade. ill listen to you..iv read a lot of your other posts..very helpful..overstocked was a real help too. i was actually thinking of getting another fixture to add to the one i have in case i didnt have enough light...i keep hearing ppl talking about lighting is the most important thing. but i will wait. ill try what i have now with one daylight and one actinic.

does the actinic contribute at all to plant growth??? ....the more i read, the more i am convinced that nobody really knows. i mean, its blue(to me anyway) also the wavelength is in the blue part of the spectrum. i know plants take in blue and red and reflect green. i would assume that the blue actinic would would pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.