The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can i add 8 or six neon tetras in a 1 month old 20 gallon planted tank?
right now i have 8 mosquito fish in there and one dwarf gourami , wich i plan to remove the 8 mosquito fish and add the 8 neon tetras. would this be possible, i heard that you can only add 4 fish at a time but since i plan to swap fish ,i dont really know. as i told you before the tank is one month cycled with fish in it only one death .i plan to slowly drip acclimate the neon tetras..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no im just wondering if it was going to be safe because i plannned to take out 8 of the mosquito larva eating fish out and adding 6 or 8 noen tetras in their place

·
Registered
95 Posts
Assuming all is well with your tank, swapping out 8 for 8 should be fine and cause no problems. Just don't wait long between removing the squeeterfish and adding the tetras...like, do it the same day if you can so you don't have a significant dieoff of nitrifying bacteria.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I wouldn't make any changes until you've tested your water parameters.

Changes are always stressful on fish. If your tank hasn't finished cycling yet, you'll be putting even more stress on the new fish. Neon tetras are not the hardiest of fish to begin with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes i plan to remove the other fish on the exact same Day/time , i also just did a 25 % water change so everything can go well ,
do you think its good to do a water change the day before you add fish?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would agree that you need to check your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels to be sure that the cycle is complete. If not the stress of the move could cause some casualties. Neons can be sensitive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.