The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an existing 30" long tank with a gravel substrate and no plants. Now I would like to grow some plants. Do you recommend adding laterite or something else rather than putting the plants right in the gravel? Can I grow certain plants right in the gravel? I would like to keep simple, low maintenance plants, so I do not need the "ideal" set up for a wide varierty of plants, but I'd like to do it right. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I would start over dumping laterite in the tank will cloud up ur tank for months,

take fishes out switch gravel and plants

if you feel like going with ur regular gravel, 1-3mm sized gravel would work

high light would be 3watts per gallon
what about ur lights?, if u got low lights go with some java moss , some crypts, and other mosses

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would start over dumping laterite in the tank will cloud up ur tank for months,

take fishes out switch gravel and plants

if you feel like going with ur regular gravel, 1-3mm sized gravel would work

high light would be 3watts per gallon
what about ur lights?, if u got low lights go with some java moss , some crypts, and other mosses
Sorry, but I don't really get what you are saying. You would dump laterite in and cloud the tank for months? I'm not looking to re-do the whole tank at this point.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think he is saying that if you dumped in the laterite without removing the water, fish, plants, and gravel from the tank first then your water would be cloudy for months.

You said you DO NOT want to start your tank over so i think the answer is "no" you should not add laterite. Instead plant plants that dont need the special substrate. Like the ones he mentioned above.

Loyal to the Oil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
O.K. Thank you for the answers. So, you all would not reccommend adding anything to the substrate. Can I get good growth from the plants you mention planted directly in the gravel?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would estimate the gravel is about 2-3 mm or about 1/8". I probably don't have enough light - just a single 30" light strip but I could easily get a double light strip. Also, If I don't want to get into a fertilizer "program", would the fish produce enough nutrients for the plants? Thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
i'm just curious, why can't he just add the laterite and do lots of water changes.

don't know if it will help, but when i had to add more flourite (or laterite i don't remember which anymore) to one of my tanks, i washed it lightly and put it into a giant ziplock bag that i lowered into the tank and then poured out the deep as possible. it did not cloud much in my opinion, nothing a canister full of filter floss didn't take care of. results may vary though and it's time consuming for a large tank.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
Laterite can be added to an established aquarium with minimal mess and effort.

Grab an ice cube tray. Add some laterite and some water. Place the tray in the freezer. Once frozen, push the "laterite cubes" under your substrate.

Mike

·
Registered
517 Posts
ice cubes are so small! i imagine this process takes a while. not to mention it'll change the temperature in your tank adding that much ice. but it is very innovative idea :) now i'm going to have to look for something to try this with for the hell of it

·
Registered
1 Posts
I appear to be having success - even to bringing plants back from the dead - with the baked pellet method, and am just placing them directly under the roots of the plants that appear to need the help...

For someone who knows a bit more about laterite than I though - if that slight pinkish discolouration does appear (hasn't so far, fingers crossed) - will Seachem's product Purigen remove the nutrients as well as clearing up the water? or will it leave the beneficial stuff in the water and just remove the [email protected]?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
ice cubes are so small! i imagine this process takes a while. not to mention it'll change the temperature in your tank adding that much ice. but it is very innovative idea :) now i'm going to have to look for something to try this with for the hell of it
It takes pounds of ice to make a noticeable difference even in a 10g tank.

You just put it in the areas you want to plant. Not everywhere. If you aren't willing to redo the tank, this is the easiest way. Or get good root supplements.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.