The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a carpet of dwarf sag in a high tech tank. It was great for months, but is now 6-8" tall, with many leaves nearing 12".

I'm certain this is the right one, I bought it as 1-2-3 grow tubs.

Can I just cut it right to the ground for it to re-sprout from base? I don't know what else to do, I love it but it's taken up way too much of the water column. Thanks!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
What growing conditions do you have? Dwarf Sag only grew about 2 inches tall for me when I used it in a low tech tank. I doubt that it would do well if sheared off like hair grass.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Dwarf sagittaria gets tall when it is crowded or when the light is too low. Sometimes old plants get high as well. I would not recommend trimming it as it takes a long time to bounce back. It is grass-like but the leaf has more invested in it than Eleocharis for example.

LEDs seem bright to the human eye because they are a concentrated source of light, but it might not be bright enough for the plants. Can you elaborate on the light setup? Also with CO2 and high light, a weekly flourish dose might be too little.

Consider removing the bigger plants and leaving only the smaller baby plants behind. Some thinning of the carpet might be needed in future maintenance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.