The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a planted tank with Red Cherry Shrimp and CO2 injection. They are reproducing like crazy and my question is, are the juveniles safe to sell and ship being they were raised in a CO2 injected environment?

Am curious if this is a big no-no, as the person buying them may have a low tech setup which would be a big change in environment. Wasn't sure if this would be too hard on the little guys and kill them?

I want to make sure I'm not selling "damaged" goods. Appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I can't think of any reason why you having CO2 in their tank would alter their environment in any significant way. Sure, you're injecting CO2 but they're still breathing oxygen ya know? Also I'm sure your pH rises when the CO2 goes off for the night (not that the pH drop as a result of CO2 is all that important when compared to the pH differences in water with different levels of elements) and they're just fine.

I wouldn't give it a second thought personally.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I agree with @RyanRX7. Having CO2 makes little difference. Regardless of where you get fish/inverts you shouldn't just dump them into their new home, they should be acclimated so a change in parameters won't matter. As long as the other person does their part to acclimate them to the new water there shouldn't be any issue, and this is not even because you have CO2.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
What my question is, what parameters do you have and how much CO2 do you inject so that RCS breed for you ? :)

If they are acclimated well by the end owner they should be ok.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The young ones deal with stress a lot better than the adults. Shipping, new water parameters, etc. Send the juveniles, keep the adults.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The main thing that CO2 will change is the pH and the concentration of O2. If they are living in low o2 conditions that just makes them hardier and being in more o2 will make them thrive even more. If the co2 is lowering the pH your water pH might be high to begin with and the co2 is bringing it to their ideal level. A prospective buyer will hopefully have their shrimp tank at that level already so they wont experience that large of a change to result in death.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts