The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See the picture below. I think my solenoid is the problem for my regulator not working properly. So, can I remove it and still keep the bubble counter attached to control output? Hmmm. Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be able to turn it off at night.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermond, I just read about that procedure. Best to replace it.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I run pressurized co2 24/7 and have no desire to use a solenoid. I run about 2 bps in 46 gallons and have enough surface movement so, that I get oxygenation and elimination of surface slime. If I had the solenoid, I would probably use it until it stopped working properly. Since solenoids cost about $30.00, I just don't see them as a cost savings since co2 is cheap. Also, I like the consistent co2 saturation from running it 24/7. It would seem to me that I would have to turn up the co2 bps to get the saturation sufficient by the time the lights came on. Off course, if you have alot of outgassing of co2, you might use more if you were to run it 24/7.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I typed my response to slow so I didn't that you made up your mind. But I'll leave my opinion to see other's opinions on it. It might be interesting.:icon_wink

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like your opinion. I am probablt going to try it so I don't have to buy a new regulator.

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
I think my solenoid is the problem for my regulator not working properly. So, can I remove it and still keep the bubble counter attached to control output? Hmmm. Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be able to turn it off at night.
Nevermond, I just read about that procedure. Best to replace it.
What is the problem your regulator is having?

You can remove the solenoid and still keep the bubble counter attached to the control output. You will likely need a 1/8" to 1/8" female NPT nipple, from the looks of your setup.

Since solenoids cost about $30.00, I just don't see them as a cost savings since co2 is cheap.
For some, a CO2 fill station is quite far away, so they want to stretch the time their CO2 can last to save gas ;) Also, you can get a solenoid for $<20 if you are willing to connect the wire yourself to the solenoid.

Also, I like the consistent co2 saturation from running it 24/7. It would seem to me that I would have to turn up the co2 bps to get the saturation sufficient by the time the lights came on.
Most people turn on their CO2 approximately 30 minutes before their lights come on to avoid this issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a pair of 30# co2 tanks (full) and I doubt my little 40g is going to use up even the one 30#.

That is good info about the 1/8" to 1/8" female NPT nipple and this ("Most people turn on their CO2 approximately 30 minutes before their lights come on to avoid this issue."). All very good information. I took the regulator off and may remove the solenoid yet tonight.

The problem I have is that a few months ago, it worked on my saltwater system (for my calcium reactor), but now it doesn't work. We have moved since that time, but I have moved before and naver had a regulator go bad. Dunno. I'd hate to have to buy a new one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts