The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is fully cycled.

Currently 0 ammonia & 0 nitrites 24 hours after a 2ppm dose, been doing this for about a week now. I ordered my betta from bettas and art

It'll be here in probably another 2 weeks. I wanted to add a cleanup crew. I feel like if they find their hiding places and are already in the tank when I add the betta it might help with the betta's aggression.

(I've had bettas that completely leave shrimp alone and I've had others than literally attack them constantly.)

Obviously, my new betta's temperament will be a coin toss, but I wanted to do everything possible to help their survival.

BUT I don't want my bacteria culture to die and I don't want it to adjust to a small bio load, then have to readjust when I add the fish.

Is it safe to add inverts and dose VERY LOW amounts of ammonia to support the bacteria cultures? Or anyone have a suggestion how I should go about this?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you changed out 50% of your tank water yet?

I would not. Clean up crews of shrimp are much more susceptible to Ammonia poisoning than most fish.
I have not done a 50% water change yet. I actually cycled the tank with ONLY the hardscape it in, got it to 0 ammonia 0 nitrites. Then I water changed and planted all my plants, this cause the nitrites to spike way high and it took another 3-4 days for them to go back down. So I was a little apprehensive to water change just yet. I was going to do it 3-4 days before my fish arrives.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.