The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want some beneficial bacteria nowww. I don't want to wait weeks or even months for my ammonia and nitrite levels to balance out. So how much urine will it take to cycle my tank? A quart? a cup? an ounce? a few milliliters?

~Thanks.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Wanna make it cycle a little bit faster? Get your filter media from a current tank and shake it in the new tank and add some fish food. Thats what I do on all my newly setup tanks. I dont think it would be good to pee in your tank, IMO.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As funny as it is to think one can actually cycle their tank with urine, it's really not the best way. Your urine doesn't have any bacteria that will be good for your tank in it. The only thing in your urine that will help your tank cycle is the ammonia. Using pure ammonia to fishless cycle is going to be a lot better for your tank and it's future inhabitants. Unfortunately, waiting is part of the game. If you want a great looking tank with healthy inhabitants, you need to spend the month, (sometimes much less), to cycle your tank correctly.

Edit: If you have access to cycled tank substrate or filter media, then 'seeding' is what you want to do. Using these, with already cultured bacteria, will drop your cycle time down considerably.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.