The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 55 gallon tank with a hob canister filter on the end of it and i want to move the intake pipe to the middle of my tank. so my question is will that affect the proformance of the filter? i have power heads in the tank but i feel like the intake is stuck in the corner and doesnt suck as much junk as it could. so i would use 2 90 degree elbows and stright pipe imo it should work but need some input.

·
Registered
828 Posts
It won't affect the performance as it's still sucking in water and spitting it back out, so that's the same. What you want to make sure though is there's no dead spots. The ideal method I've read and what I do myself is have the outtake and intake pipes next to each other. I use a lily pipe myself, so the lily pipe will shoot out the water and it would ideally circulate throughout the tank and then go back to the intake to do it over again, that way there's no dead spots. If you say, had an intake on one side and outtake on the other, that middle area could be considered dead as the water's getting sucked up before reaching there.

With a powerhead, it's less of a concern as I'll assume it's circulating water all throughout and there's no dead spots, so put the intake where you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok sounds good didnt want to lose the pumps power due to the 90 degree elbows on there. yea i have the canister filter on one end and the power head on the other they both kick up a lot of water and just notice more junk in the middle of the tank rather then the corners where the intake is located.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
90* elbows cal affect the water flow. Not much, but some.
If you can use 45* fittings that would be better.
It has been tested:
Set up 3 plumbing systems.
the first is done with 90* elbows.
the second is done with 2 x 45* for each 90*.
the third uses long bend or sweep 90s. These are 1/4 circles, not angled fittings.

The best performance was in the third set up.
A close second was the 2 x 45* fittings.
The worst performance was in the 90* fitting set up.

The difference was quite substantial, to the point that if optimum performance is the goal do not use 90* fittings.

On the other hand I do modify the intakes of most of my filters (HOB and cans) and the performance is just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.