The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up a 29g planted tank mid November that I am thinking about adding yellow shrimp to. There are only three danios in the tank now and one otto. Of course, the danios will be transferred to one of my other tanks, the otto will stay.

Setup:

Standard 29 gallon, open top
Filters: Fluval canister filter 305
Lights: Catalina T5 HO 3x54w, 3rd light on for mid day burst only
Substrate: mineralized top soil capped w/3M color quartz
Extra Flow: Koralia nano and Koralia 1
PH: consistently 7.4, WC flux 7.6 for 6 hours, then back down to 7.4
KH: 9.0
GH: 4.5
Plants: Wisteria, Anubias, Crypts, Aponogeton Crispus, Java Moss tied to some drift wood, and some clover (melting, but coming back).
Dosing: EI 50% H20 change-weekly, 1/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week 1/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week, Flouish 3x a week and Excel daily

I currently have 5 Riparium planters in the tank also, the water level is 1” from top, high for a Rip, but I like this look better.

I’ve been reading PT, APC and several shrimp forums, there seems to be conflicting reports on shrimp and open top tanks. My concern is not only is this tank open top, but it has Riparium planters also, giving the shrimp easy access to climb out.

So, what does everyone think? Can I keep (and try to breed) yellow shrimp with this set up?

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I don't have plants out the top of the tank but do keep one corner full of floaters. I occasionally find a shrimp on the floor but not more than once a month. Since I don't keep a sponge on the filter intake I'll find 5-20 shrimp in the canister. lol

SteveU

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.