The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 20-gallon-long planted aquarium. Right now it houses 11 neon tetras and 9 harlequin rasboras. Today I saw a group of peacock gudgeons at my LFS and am considering whether I can keep them. A few questions:

1. If I get a male and a female, will that be OK, or will there be aggression between them. I.e., do a pair have to "like" each other? Should I get more than just a pair?

2. I have read that they prefer a sand substrate. The ones at my LFS were over gravel, and didn't really seem to go near the substrate. I have Eco-Complete, which is not recommended for a lot of bottom fish like cories. Is this likely to be a problem for peacock gudgeons?

4. My neons and rasboras are "chase-y"; will this stress out the peacock gudgeons?

5. If the gudgeons decide to breed, would they be too aggressive to my schooling fish?

6. My KH runs between 4 and 5. Is that too low?

·
Registered
239 Posts
1) yes a pair works and a group works id do a small group or pair 2) yeah gravel is fine they live in high flow stream 3) no increase their schools so they are less boisterous 4) no the schooling fish will avoid them they are pretty hard to breed 5) buffer ur kh if you think it’s too low it sounds ok. I have high kh but nothing rlly cares about it ime. I’d try getting it a bit higher cuz it makes ph not change as fast, I haven’t had a ph or ammonia or anything spike and all my tanks cycle in like a day to a week ig it’s just Indiana water

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) yes a pair works and a group works id do a small group or pair 2) yeah gravel is fine they live in high flow stream 3) no increase their schools so they are less boisterous 4) no the schooling fish will avoid them they are pretty hard to breed 5) buffer ur kh if you think it’s too low it sounds ok. I have high kh but nothing rlly cares about it ime. I’d try getting it a bit higher cuz it makes ph not change as fast, I haven’t had a ph or ammonia or anything spike and all my tanks cycle in like a day to a week ig it’s just Indiana water
Thanks... Have you kept them?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 20-gallon-long planted aquarium. Right now it houses 11 neon tetras and 9 harlequin rasboras. Today I saw a group of peacock gudgeons at my LFS and am considering whether I can keep them. A few questions:

1. If I get a male and a female, will that be OK, or will there be aggression between them. I.e., do a pair have to "like" each other? Should I get more than just a pair?

2. I have read that they prefer a sand substrate. The ones at my LFS were over gravel, and didn't really seem to go near the substrate. I have Eco-Complete, which is not recommended for a lot of bottom fish like cories. Is this likely to be a problem for peacock gudgeons?

4. My neons and rasboras are "chase-y"; will this stress out the peacock gudgeons?

5. If the gudgeons decide to breed, would they be too aggressive to my schooling fish?

6. My KH runs between 4 and 5. Is that too low?
1) They pair up just fine
2) I keep them on sand, but that's more due to my preference than anything, they don't dwell on the ground much, they only really sit in substrate when digging for mating

3) No they're chill. They can nip long flowy tails though

4) No, they're pretty peaceful. The one thing I've found is they're slow eaters so you have to make sure they get they're food. They are also difficult to get onto dry food in my experience

5) My water is softer than that, they breed weekly for me in the cave they've dug under some drift wood :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1) They pair up just fine
2) I keep them on sand, but that's more due to my preference than anything, they don't dwell on the ground much, they only really sit in substrate when digging for mating

3) No they're chill. They can nip long flowy tails though

4) No, they're pretty peaceful. The one thing I've found is they're slow eaters so you have to make sure they get they're food. They are also difficult to get onto dry food in my experience

5) My water is softer than that, they breed weekly for me in the cave they've dug under some drift wood :)
Thanks. I've heard such differing accounts of their aggression: some people say they're completely peaceful; others say they can be aggressive. I really like the way they look, but I'm hesitant because I don't know what kind of behavior I'm going to get.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.