The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done research, and all I get is that I can keep Bettas with shrimp and snails. Personally, I'm not a big fan of shrimp and snails, and would prefer fish. I was thinking I could put a female Platy with my male Betta. I'm not sure if it would work out in a 5 gallon tank, though.

·
Registered
766 Posts
If it is a female betta you could keep a single male guppy with it - not sure about male betta. Single male guppies don't live that long - if you are lucky 2 years but then again they don't live much longer in groups either.
-
I don't think i would do platy/swordtail/molly. Just not enough room. A couple of endlers might work - they have smaller tails so the betta might leave em alone. Also you could probably do 4 or 5 ember tetra but a 5 gallon is pretty small.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Endlers and guppies are both social and need a 10 gallon tank. Parorocinclus costs like 60$ a fish and is super hard to keep but it’s the only small fish that can go with a betta and you need 6 in a school

(In a 5g)

·
Registered
349 Posts
I wouldn't put a male guppy in with a male betta in that small of a tank. The colorful tail on the guppy would probably trigger the betta, might work with a female. the downside of a small tank is you are limited with stocking possibilities. If you aren't open to shrimp and snails you may just have to stick the the betta on its own.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I wouldn't do a male guppy/ male betta simply because of the potential for aggression. I've kept guppies/ endlers solo, in male groups, in female groups and in colonies and I haven't observed any difference in their behaviors i.e. acting shy or skittish, acting aggressive or having any impact on their lifespan being kept by themselves as opposed to in groups. I can't say the same for the true schoolers I have kept. Just from an observational stand point.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Of course they live in groups int he wild - they breed like mice. Btw do you consider mice 'group' animals that must be kept in groups because they are found in groups in the wild or for that matter is it abuse to keep a solo horse because they are found in groups in the wild.

Anyway while there are some animals (and fishes) that really need to be kept in groups for their welfare you are at this point spreading some weird form of fud without any understanding of what you are saying.

The biggest issue of putting any fish in the 5 gallon is if the betta will tolerate it and if a betta would tolerate a male guppy it would be fine for the health of both fishes (assuming that it is disease free et all). My female betta is pretty mellow but i've had a female before who was quite aggressive. Male betta - well i personally try to avoid them - they just don't fit my tanks.

but in the wild they live in groups, it isn’t okay to borderline abuse The animal just to put it with a betta

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
318 Posts
You could do an otocinculus 2-3 bucks ea. I have had good luck keeping them with bettas, and corydora catfish are another more active choice. Is your betta a male or female?

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
766 Posts
As a 5 gallon tank the limits here are well quite limited. The only cory that might be suitable is pygmy but pygmy strongly prefer a large group (the larger the better). otto are an interesting suggestion. If the tank has live plants 3 or 4 otto might actually make a nice fit. I think otto can do ok solo (not too sure about that) but they are also a fish that is best kept in a large group (far larger than most fish keepers keep them). i have 10 in my 40B but i could easily see a group of 20 or 30 being more suitable. Still one or two in a 5 might work well. For pygmy it is generally recommended a min of 6 but a group of 15 or 20 really does work wonders.
-
This is one of the reason i haven't mentioned kuhli loaches - also a fish that works best in a large group. A 5 gallon tank just isn't large enough - kuhli are actually fairly active at night and a 5 gallon probably doesn't offer enough swimming room.

The more i think about it the more i feel that endlers are actually a really nice fit since they are happy to limit their movement and are fairly small. The biggest problem is that if the betta is aggressive they won't last long. Conversely I do think you could fit 5 or 6 neon in the tank. They offer quite a bit of colour for a small fish (if you want smaller you could go with green neon). They are a bit faster than the guppies/endler but still if the betta is aggressive it is not clear what would happen. I think it is less likely to be aggressive given they don't have the wavy tails. The other negatives of neon (or guppies) is that these fishes all like the top of the tank while it is the bottom that is mostly free. Well the tetra will hang a bit lower than the top so that might help.
-
One thing you could consider is an interesting snail like a rabbit snail or mystery snail. These offer some colour and are well protected by their shells. Still some betta have been known to not approve of the snails but i doubt they could actually harm them.

You could do an otocinculus 2-3 bucks ea. I have had good luck keeping them with bettas, and corydora catfish are another more active choice. Is your betta a male or female?

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Oto, from my observations, can do ok solo. I have one that will not let me catch him and it's very round and eats non stop. He's also taken to swimming around with my rummynoses again. I do think a solo oto needs at least a schooling group that accepts them, but I have not noticed a whole lot of particularly troubling behaviour from him living without the company of others. All of my other Oto were easily caught when they started acting weird when, unbeknownst to me, my filter died. A group of 4 oto might actually do really well in this setting if the tank is heavily planted and there's a little flow with a hidden hang out zone near the filter output. Other than that for a tank this size the only thing I can come up with are the 2 things you don't want to put in here- snails and shrimp... I personally love having a Betts with a big old yellow or blue mystery snail. Snails can laugh off a betta attack and it's hilarious to watch.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know my Betta is not aggresive, as I have tested this many times. So, I am not really concered on the compatibilty, just mostly the size. I would do Endlers, but I can not really find anywhere that sells them. I was thinking about putting in 5-6 Neon Tetras. Do you think that would work out?

As a 5 gallon tank the limits here are well quite limited. The only cory that might be suitable is pygmy but pygmy strongly prefer a large group (the larger the better). otto are an interesting suggestion. If the tank has live plants 3 or 4 otto might actually make a nice fit. I think otto can do ok solo (not too sure about that) but they are also a fish that is best kept in a large group (far larger than most fish keepers keep them). i have 10 in my 40B but i could easily see a group of 20 or 30 being more suitable. Still one or two in a 5 might work well. For pygmy it is generally recommended a min of 6 but a group of 15 or 20 really does work wonders.
-
This is one of the reason i haven't mentioned kuhli loaches - also a fish that works best in a large group. A 5 gallon tank just isn't large enough - kuhli are actually fairly active at night and a 5 gallon probably doesn't offer enough swimming room.

The more i think about it the more i feel that endlers are actually a really nice fit since they are happy to limit their movement and are fairly small. The biggest problem is that if the betta is aggressive they won't last long. Conversely I do think you could fit 5 or 6 neon in the tank. They offer quite a bit of colour for a small fish (if you want smaller you could go with green neon). They are a bit faster than the guppies/endler but still if the betta is aggressive it is not clear what would happen. I think it is less likely to be aggressive given they don't have the wavy tails. The other negatives of neon (or guppies) is that these fishes all like the top of the tank while it is the bottom that is mostly free. Well the tetra will hang a bit lower than the top so that might help.
-
One thing you could consider is an interesting snail like a rabbit snail or mystery snail. These offer some colour and are well protected by their shells. Still some betta have been known to not approve of the snails but i doubt they could actually harm them.

·
Registered
766 Posts
This is open to debate. I have 6 neon in my 5 gallon but a lot of folks insist that they need a min of 10 gallon. My experience with neon (and cardinals) is they really don't move much and therefore a 5 is fine. I would recommend the smaller green neon but betta do have big mouths so i'm not sure if they would be able to eat them. Ember tetra would be another option.

I know my Betta is not aggresive, as I have tested this many times. So, I am not really concered on the compatibilty, just mostly the size. I would do Endlers, but I can not really find anywhere that sells them. I was thinking about putting in 5-6 Neon Tetras. Do you think that would work out?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a Male Giant Betta in a 10 gallon with 5 pristella tetras, a yoyo loach, and a spotted sailfin pleco. My betta is super chill, doesn't even flare in the presence of a mirror, but he's super active and always swimming about. He doesn't bother the other tank mates and they don't bother him. I've seen him give chase to a tetra a few times, but he looses interest almost immediately.
This is a VERY high population for such a small tank, but the point is, depending on the Betta, they can live with a lot of other fish, but some, as stated above wouldn't do well with tank mates. Depends on the personality of your fish.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.