The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, first post here. I'm currently in my second week of growing out my Monte Carlo in a high tech tank with co2/fluval nano 3.0, but I'm planning on modifying my filter and taking away the potassium nitrate in my dosing regime to get color on my Rotala H'ra. Will reducing the Nitrates harm the monte carlo carpet? the only other important plants in there are buce and annubias. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Hi guys, first post here. I'm currently in my second week of growing out my Monte Carlo in a high tech tank with co2/fluval nano 3.0, but I'm planning on modifying my filter and taking away the potassium nitrate in my dosing regime to get color on my Rotala H'ra. Will reducing the Nitrates harm the monte carlo carpet? the only other important plants in there are buce and annubias. Thanks!
Do you mean you plan to reduce KNO3 to zero? What are you replacing it with? NPK are macros, meaning you need them in large(ish) doses for all plants to live. If there is zero N then you 1) have all plants being stunted/dying till it comes back and 2) have an interesting algae bloom on your hands. For more careful fine tuning you should probably post a picture of your plants and what they are doing and ask for specific guidance to get better results.

·
Registered
931 Posts
[STRIKE][/STRIKE]
I believe more info is needed... mainly how much are you dosing right now along with what else are you dosing(other macros, P, K, Ca, Mg, Micros)? How much are you planning to reduce? CO2? Lastly, what kind of substrate are you using?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Lean dosing is a tight balance of having just enough nitrate and not enough. Nitrate is used to form leaves and produce the chlorophyll. With less green color(from chlorophyll) in leaves, the reds stand out more.

This is a hydroponically grown fittonia that developed a severe lack of nitrate over a period of time.

This technique is used by some advanced aquarists to really pop their colors. Which is why when you buy cuttings from them and put them in your own tank, the plants lose their bright color over time, unless of course you are also doing lean dosing. Fittonia develops the chlorophyll in patterns based on the structure in it's leaves, in other plants chlorophyll is spread evenly across the leaves along with other pigments, so combining red and green make... brown.

Reactions: P.Isley
1 - 4 of 4 Posts