The Planted Tank Forum banner

Can I grow Hygrophila?

3070 13
Hi everyone,

I'd like some input before I waste money on a plant that won't grow. My low-tech 40 breeder is doing well as I'm finally getting my dosing and lighting all worked out. I currently have a bunch of crypts that are doing well and growing faster than expected. My dwarf lily and tiger lotus are also doing well but not growing that fast. I REALLY want to add a type of hygrophila but my previous experience with hygro did not go well. It generally looked sickly and was growing at a snail-pace. (To be fair I rescaped the tank pretty often it may not have been able to settle in).

The tank is lit with TWO finnex stingrays. Each one puts out ~40watts and based on my research the PAR should be between 40 and 50. Is this enough to grow any type of hygrophila? If its not, would a simple clip-on LED grow light from home depot help? Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I think you should be able to.

Hygrophila corymbosa 'compact' grows really well in lower light, lower tech tanks.

Most other species are fairly easy to grow.

Hygrophila pinnatifida is a littler tougher to grow...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you should be able to.

Hygrophila corymbosa 'compact' grows really well in lower light, lower tech tanks.

Most other species are fairly easy to grow.

Hygrophila pinnatifida is a littler tougher to grow...
Thanks for the quick reply!
Maybe I'll give it another shot. I love the way they look so hopefully it works out.
Do you personally have any experience with hygro at this light level?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've just set up a low tech tank, and bought some H. polysperma "Tropic Sunset" from a hobbyist off Ebay. It's hands down the best growing plant I put in--easily outgrowing the algae outbreak I've got going on. It's been in 10 days, and probably already needs to be trimmed and the cuttings replanted.

H. difformis/water wisteria is supposed to be super easy, but mine melted and all I've got now is a little green new growth in the crowns. I suspect it may have been grown emersed, which is why it melted when I put it in my tank. That batch of plants also sat in a bucket outside for a week, so that may have contributed to the melt/dieback.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've just set up a low tech tank, and bought some H. polysperma "Tropic Sunset" from a hobbyist off Ebay. It's hands down the best growing plant I put in--easily outgrowing the algae outbreak I've got going on. It's been in 10 days, and probably already needs to be trimmed and the cuttings replanted.

H. difformis/water wisteria is supposed to be super easy, but mine melted and all I've got now is a little green new growth in the crowns. I suspect it may have been grown emersed, which is why it melted when I put it in my tank. That batch of plants also sat in a bucket outside for a week, so that may have contributed to the melt/dieback.
I've heard great things about polysperma but as far as I can tell it's illegal in CA.... but "illegal" doesn't mean "impossible" ;)
Might have to do some looking around and if I find it ill snatch it up.

·
Registered
781 Posts
You likely won't find polysperma. I live in CA and have never spotted it.

Go for Hygro Corymbosa; it's tough, easy, cheap, legal, and readily available everywhere. I've had it almost 2 years, and it's easy stuff to grow low tech.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Oh wow--didn't know I was breaking the law with my H. polysperma Tropic Sunset LOL. So if you bought it from an online dealer, as opposed to an individual hobbyist like I did (I think she was in Nebraska), would they refuse to ship it to you?

Phishes: If you want some, I can put you in touch with the person I bought it from. Or at the rate I'm going, will soon have some to get rid of.....

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Oh wow--didn't know I was breaking the law with my H. polysperma Tropic Sunset LOL. So if you bought it from an online dealer, as opposed to an individual hobbyist like I did (I think she was in Nebraska), would they refuse to ship it to you?

Phishes: If you want some, I can put you in touch with the person I bought it from. Or at the rate I'm going, will soon have some to get rid of.....
You aren't breaking the law growing it in your tank, as far as I'm aware. You'd only be breaking the law if you sold it, and very breaking the law if you shipped it across state lines. The USDA has classified it as a noxious weed because of what it can do to water ways. I've got H. polysperma in my tanks, it's a great plant. But when you see how fast it grows and can dominate, and how it can survive and thrive in just about anything, it makes sense why it's on that list. Never EVER flush the stuff. If it makes it to a water way, it will grow. All my trimmings go directly in the trash.

@Phishes - I've got some H. corymbosa "Siamensis" 53B, lovely plant. I've never tried to grow it in low tech conditions, but if you'd like, I can ship you some to give it a go. I can also include some other stuff. I'll send it to you free, I just ask you cover shipping cost.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Here's a picture of Hygrophila Difformis growing under a single Finnex Stingray using nothing more than root tabs. As you can see, it'll do the job just fine.

I've also had excellent luck growing Broad Leaf Hygrophila under the same light.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
H Polysperma is on the federal noxious weed list. That means its illegal to sell, purchase or import the plant anywhere in the US. Just keep it for yourself and you'll be fine, but I wouldn't make a habit of purchasing illegal plants, if for some reason the package gets flagged or whatever your responsible as well and you could be listed as an illegal importer or buyer depending on where you got the plant from.

Another common aquarium plant that is banned in several states including CA and NY is Green Cabomba. Here is a list of banned plants:

https://plants.usda.gov/java/noxiousDriver

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a picture of Hygrophila Difformis growing under a single Finnex Stingray using nothing more than root tabs. As you can see, it'll do the job just fine.

I've also had excellent luck growing Broad Leaf Hygrophila under the same light.

Wow! what an inspiration and thanks for the info. I just got quite a few stems of compact hygro and its already looking better than my previous attempts. Probably because my water parameters are finally stable lol. Looking forward to growing these!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.