The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I could grow giant and dwarf hair grass with water lettuce. I have a ton of water lettuce right. My giant hair grass has broken off brown stems along the sides of each bundle I planted (been this way for almost a month) and my dwarf hair grass is brown just at the tops where I trimmed it....New grass is growing through that but no greening of the ones I trimmed.
Fertilizers: seachem flourish, phosphorous, potassium and root tabs
Substrate: CaribSea super naturals white sand
Lighting: Current Orbit Satellite plus pro
Co2: Fluval
Tank Size: 20 gallon long

Thank you for the help in advanced.

Ph 6.8
Am 0
Nitrate/Nitrite 0
Temp: 80

·
Registered
28 Posts
Zero nitrate. Plants need nitrates. A lot of folks recommend CO2 when growing DHG. You're also right on the upper edge of the recommended temperature.
I tested my water today and it is at 20 ppm is that too high? I have Fluval co2 would turning my tank down to 78 be better I don't think I can go down lower for honey gourami, Cardinal tetra and corydoras

How many lawns have you seen growing on sand?
My grass is growing pretty tall just not spreading as much as I would like... So you are saying that it won't be able to grow in sand even with root tabs, micro/macro nutrients with plain old sand? If so any recommendations on an alternative carpet?

·
Registered
346 Posts
It will absolutely carpet in an inert substrate. I have a thick carpet in black diamond sand and I only dose water Column with pps pro. I don't use root tabs. High light and pressurized co2.

If it's growing up and not spreading out, your water lettuce is blocking too much light.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It will absolutely carpet in an inert substrate. I have a thick carpet in black diamond sand and I only dose water Column with pps pro. I don't use root tabs. High light and pressurized co2.

If it's growing up and not spreading out, your water lettuce is blocking too much light.
Thank you. That's what I thought with tons of Google searches plain sand hair grass. Glad to hear yours is doing so well. I'm weeding out the water lettuce... I want to get rid of it but my honey gourami loves it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.