The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How it going every one i was wondering if i could grow glosso with this fixture?
It has one 6700k bulb and on colormax bulb. I dose with the pfertz line and use a diy paint ball co2 rig. Think i can make it work or will it not be enof light? The fixture is a 36" coralife T5NO its not the HO ones only NO. Ill post a pic soon at school now.... But any ways do u think ill be ok to grow glosso?

·
Registered
386 Posts
You did not mention how big your tank is. But considering glosso, you should be able to grow it without a problem. Your only indicator is if your glosso grows longer stems than usual. That only means you do not have enough light. Good luck.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You did not mention how big your tank is. But considering glosso, you should be able to grow it without a problem. Your only indicator is if your glosso grows longer stems than usual. That only means you do not have enough light. Good luck.
Oh yaa srry the tank is a 26s dim are 36x17x10. I hope i can keep this plant its awosem

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
That is only a 10 inch high tank! Even a 2 bulb T5NO light, with typical very poor reflectors would give you high light. If you hang that light about 6 inches above the top of the tank you should still have good low medium light, and much better uniformity of light over the substrate. With good CO2 glosso should do fine.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is only a 10 inch high tank! Even a 2 bulb T5NO light, with typical very poor reflectors would give you high light. If you hang that light about 6 inches above the top of the tank you should still have good low medium light, and much better uniformity of light over the substrate. With good CO2 glosso should do fine.
The tank is 17" tall srry if i typed that wrong well i still be ok?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
All of the Coralife T5NO lights I have seen or seen pictures of had poor reflectors, so I suspect that one does too. At 17 inches it will give you only low light, but with good CO2 you should still be able to grow glosso. It might be harder to keep it from shooting towards the water surface and being leggy, so you will need to prune more often.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All of the Coralife T5NO lights I have seen or seen pictures of had poor reflectors, so I suspect that one does too. At 17 inches it will give you only low light, but with good CO2 you should still be able to grow glosso. It might be harder to keep it from shooting towards the water surface and being leggy, so you will need to prune more often.
Can u explain to me the difference between a good and bad reflector? not the obvious stuff but other than having to be shinny whats does it have to have to be a good reflector?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
With a good reflector you can look at the bulb(s) and see both the bulb and a reflection of the bulb or even two reflections of the bulb on either side of it. With very good polished aluminum reflectors it can be hard to tell how many bulbs are real and how many are just reflections. Each of those reflections is almost like having another bulb lighting the tank. With a poor reflector, the manufacturer hasn't left enough room on the sides of the bulbs for a reflection to be there, and/or the reflector is just a flat shiny metal part under the bulb, not one that directs light down to the tank.

All it takes is looking at the installed bulbs to see what kind of reflector you have. It helps if you have seen a good reflector before, like an AH Supply bright light reflector. Also, look at the photos of known very good T5HO lights, and try to count the real bulbs - it will be difficult to do that.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With a good reflector you can look at the bulb(s) and see both the bulb and a reflection of the bulb or even two reflections of the bulb on either side of it. With very good polished aluminum reflectors it can be hard to tell how many bulbs are real and how many are just reflections. Each of those reflections is almost like having another bulb lighting the tank. With a poor reflector, the manufacturer hasn't left enough room on the sides of the bulbs for a reflection to be there, and/or the reflector is just a flat shiny metal part under the bulb, not one that directs light down to the tank.

All it takes is looking at the installed bulbs to see what kind of reflector you have. It helps if you have seen a good reflector before, like an AH Supply bright light reflector. Also, look at the photos of known very good T5HO lights, and try to count the real bulbs - it will be difficult to do that.
ok that makes sense thanks for the help. with this fixture if the glosso doesnt work out should i upgrade to a t5ho fixture? or do u think i can still grow a large enough variety of plants to be happy with what i have?
thanks again =)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.