The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of putting a cutting of a plant in a bottle of seltzer water and closing it off, putting under some high output lighting and seeing what may happen any thoughts or comments.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You're from my town...
Anyways, I only have one question, and it's what exactly were you on when you thought of that? Maybe just a lot of twizzlers and Pepsi max?
It'll die, to answer your question...I mean, after a while. Plants need more than just light and water to live.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Same idea as putting a cutting in a cup of water. I have had a terrestrial vine growing for a year.
If the bottle is closed, no place to get other nutrients, free nitrogen form the air, microbes from the air as fertilizers. I doubt the PH would be compatible.
But who knows, thats how some things are discovered or just get done, you get tired of people telling you why it won't work.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
it wont hurt to try... i would just add some ferts to the bottle and keep every one posted. i'm kind of interested to see if the super saturated co2 water will have an effect on the plant.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Once you open the bottle of seltzer water the CO2 would begin dissipating. In about 3 days it would no longer be seltzer water, but just regular water.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay so what would happen if I was to supply substrate nutrients, and water column nutrients then pour the seltzer water into a sealable glass container and hopefully get some accelerated growth. I am going to be giving this a try either way to see if will help get a plant growing fast or not. I would like any imput to have all the facts before i give it a try. maybe if this does not work just dosing high nutrients and light with high co2 to get the fastest production. If anyone knows a fast way to grow plants give me a type. I want to grow plants fast to be able to harvest them for replant in some of my breeders.

·
Registered
999 Posts
okay so what would happen if I was to supply substrate nutrients, and water column nutrients then pour the seltzer water into a sealable glass container and hopefully get some accelerated growth. I am going to be giving this a try either way to see if will help get a plant growing fast or not. I would like any imput to have all the facts before i give it a try. maybe if this does not work just dosing high nutrients and light with high co2 to get the fastest production. If anyone knows a fast way to grow plants give me a type. I want to grow plants fast to be able to harvest them for replant in some of my breeders.
google estimative index. Use the methods described in that to make your plants grow "fast". Alternatively, the fastest growth method out there for most aquatic plants is to grow them emersed. Google that too. :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
The main problem with carbonated water is the sodium.
Plants don't like too much sodium (also too many minerals--this depends on the species of plant, obviously).

that being said, plants need N,K,P and micros to grow. The level of CO2 and light are also important.

FWIW, emersed growth isn't necessarily the fast way to grow aquatic plants. My HC grows faster immersed than emersed. Emersed growth is easier to maintain (fewer algae problems, etc).

CO2 is also an issue. emersed growth does not need ferts or CO2. All you need is a nutrient rich substrate.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
I think it's a dumb idea. But do whatever floats your boat (and dying plant in seltzer water).

If you want to grow plants fast, just give them good light, nutrients, and co2 in normal water.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts