The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this in my tank after buying a plant, I already got rid of a snail I didn't want that can in/on it.

Just wondering if this is something to keep or get rid on, as I think there may have been a crayfish in the tank the plant came from.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
should I get rid of it?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
They can be a problem if they breed out of control. If there are fish in the tank it won't hurt anything because they'll keep the population reasonable. If it's a shrimp tank, some people have reported problems with scuds breeding so much that the shrimp basically get overwhelmed. They also love to eat moss, if that's in the tank.

I like them, personally, but usually they're viewed as pests.

ETA: Basically, if you want to get rid of it, now's the time. If there are multiple animals or if this one has eggs and they breed, you're done, they're going to be permanent residents.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I found it hiding in my moss ball and tossed it as I plan on putting moss in this tank, It was my shrimp tank.

Thanks

·
Registered
706 Posts
keep an eye out for more, the fry are small and almost impossible to see with the naked eye in a tank. they cling to plants pretty well also, so rinsing them wont get rid of all. just be vigilent and remove any you find. as its a shrimp/moss tank you deffinately dont want them at all.

·
Registered
536 Posts
i've heard that these guys kill freshly molted shrimps, in the past i had a cherry shrimp tank infested with these guys and i would get a dead shrimp every week, and i did see a molted shell every time also...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.