The Planted Tank Forum banner

Can I fit my gecko/insect/fish/frog tanks on this shelf without it collapsing?

366 2
Hoping someone can help me out

I'm a huge animal nerd and I just moved into a new condo. I've been planning my space, and I was wondering if the shelf I have would be able to support the setup I have in mind.

My shelf is this model from Ikea: https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/kallax-shelf-unit-white-80275887/

On top of the shelf I wanted to set up...
- 24 x 12 x 16 vivarium for leopard gecko
(weight would be the tank + equipment + substrate + some live plants)
minimum weight: 35 lbs

In the first row I wanted to set up...
- 12 x 12 x 12 vivarium for orchid mantis
- 12 x 12 x 12 vivarium for beetle
(weight for these two would be the tank itself + equipment + substrate + some live plants)
minimum weight: 15 lbs each

In the second row I wanted to set up...
- 13 x 13 x 13 fish tank for x1 betta fish
- 13 x 13 x 13 fish tank for x1 betta fish
(weight for these two would be the tank + water + equipment + substrate + some live plants)
minimum weight: 100 lbs each

In the third row I wanted to set up...
- 12 x 12 x 12 vivarium for poison dart frog
- 12 x 12 x 12 vivarium for poison dart frog
(weight for these two would be the tank + equipment + substrate + some living plants)
minimum weight: 15 lbs each

In the fourth row I wanted to set up ....
- Storage boxes for pet supplies

= So altogether it is AT LEAST 295 lbs
and maximum could easily end up leaning towards the 300+ range

So, is it plausible?
And if it isn't...
a) is there a way I can reinforce the shelves so that it would be?
b) is there a different shelf you'd recommend?

Thanks to anyone who replies
I know this may be a ridiculous concept but, I honestly didn't think about shelf weight before today.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't see a weight limit listed, so would be inclined to reach out to Ikea and see what they say. Particle board/melamine is remarkably sturdy, but water is heavy. The gecko and dart frog enclosures I'd think would be fine.
Thank you! I did look up the limit and its apparently 13kg... ? or that's what it is advertised as but someone else said they've put up to 50 lbs on a single shelf

I'm really not sure what to do though... the betta tanks were supposed to be my crown jewels and I -really- want them to be able to fit on the same shelf. And I don't want to reduce the tank space to a mere 5 gallons.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.