The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

All of the information regarding my tank is in my signature. Could I fit an angelfish in my tank? They have medium size ones on sale for $3.99 at my favorite LFS. Should I do it?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
567 Posts
You'd be pretty crowded if you did. If you've got a lot of filtration, and do water changes at least weekly (50%) you might pull it off--very clean water is key to keeping angelfish, they can be sensitive to water problems and overcrowding and you will see 'mysterious angelfish deaths'...we used to get a customer at least every week when I worked at an LFS who brought in a dead angelfish complaining we had sold them bad fish, and when we asked how they kept it, they'd say it was in a ten gallon (we even had a lady who tried putting four of them in a one gallon goldfish bowl!) with 20 other fish and they never changed their water, just topped it off when it got low. Angels don't really deal well with neglect.

. However, angels don't really like to be alone either, so you'd want two. Also as they get larger (and they do get very large) they will become aggressive to your other fish and each other, and your tank doesn't give the fish much room to stay out of an angry angelfish's way. It's really a gamble. If the two you got happened to pair up and start laying eggs, everything else in your tank would be killed by the parent angels. Angelfish can be unpredictable, some are very calm and laid back, others are terrors. And just because they act one way does not mean that they will not suddenly change personality overnight! And you should also expect them to eat any small fish that will fit in their mouths. They're very fun fish though, and my personal favorite.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much! I do have good filtration and change 50% of the water out a week, but the personality/crowding issue is definitely important. I had already assumed that it wouldn't work, but I was hoping someone would disagree; I really wish I could get one. Well, more excuse for a bigger tank once I move out of my small house :)

I do really, really want cardinal tetras though, I have always wanted them and they are offering 6 for $15 right now. But, I think it may even be too crowded for them. :(

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
The least size tank I would use for Angelfish would be a 55 gal, for 4 angels. When they mature they will pair out and you would have to keep only a pair since they start commanding half the tank for their territory

1 - 6 of 6 Posts