The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to see what kinds of fish we have in a local river, and I'm trying to photograph them. It's kind of hard to do, though, since they're skittish.
Would it be okay to put a bit of frozen food into the river and lure some closer? Maybe also use it for fishbait? I'm thinking mysis shrimp... Is there a chance that would introduce pathogens and other bad things?
What about dry foods?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Are you catching/netting them?

No, food won't work to lure them. You just scoop whatever is in the water. Check your local laws if that's legal.
I've done it here in a local stream. I just walked in the stream dragging a big net. Legally, I just needed a fishing license.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm trying to photograph fish from the bank or in shallow waters, since they have the best colors that way.
I know food works to lure them... At least, some kinds of food. I found a dry earthworm on the bank once, and when I tossed it in about five fish immediately darted over to see what it was. They come investigate anything you chuck in, but they vanish if it's not edible. I'm trying to photograph shy fast little fish, mostly shiners and sunnies, not anything huge or deepwater.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Depends. Some fish will go for anything (carp), others are very shy.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not diving, no. Just trying to photograph them from the bank or maybe from standing in the water.
I'm more concerned about the pathogens than anything else. Anything in there that I should be concerned about if I want to try it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
More then likely they are bream,bluegills etc most of those fish will respond to bread balls. Once the bigger fish see the smaller ones that will get their attention. You can do a bread and oatmeal mix just add water and make into a ball should attract plenty of fish if you see them there. Fish in the shallows are contantly looking up for predators so if you can squat and shoot pics you will be less likely to spook them.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh- should have mentioned it's an underwater camera.
They're mostly sunfish... Green and orange-spotted ones, I think. Also some pretty shiners.
Maybe I should just go with nets... If I can dig out my butterfly net. I'm just worried that I'll snag something wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts