The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just bought a 29 gallon aquarium from Petco for their $1 per gallon sale (I wanted a bigger tank but I guess 29 gallons is as large as the sale covers). For stocking I was thinking about doing 8 neons, 8 bleeding hearts, 4 cories, 10 amano shrimp, and as a centerpiece 1 blue ram. It seems like a lot, but AqAdvisor.com says it's fine with a 96% stocking level. I just wanted to make sure that this won't be a terrible idea for stocking.

Thanks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do you mean a German Blue Ram? They need warmer water than the neons and you would need to do warm water cories species. You could do cardinals instead of neons though, and up the cories to 8 or so and should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice!

So with that in mind, how about

- 1 GBR
- 8 Panda Cories
- 8 Bleeding Hearts
- 8 Cardinals
- 10 Amano Shrimp

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The goto for "warm water" corydoras is the Sterbai Cory. Rams like there water warm with the low end around 80 degrees. If you really want them I'd get a pair. Watching the interaction between male and female dwarf cichlids might be the best part of keeping them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see...

So with two GBRs and changing to 5 sterbai cories instead of 8 pandas it has my stocking level up to 107%

Is that extra 7% negligible or should I get it down to 100%

·
Registered
171 Posts
Aquadvisor is not all that accurate. I would keep your cory School at at least 6, I would do 8. I second the sterbai cories also. The GBR may make snacks out of small shrimp, but they may be okay given lots of hiding spots. Adults may be okay too.
If you want to cut your stock I would go down to one mid level school, but I think you would be ok with:

2 GBR
8 cardinals
8 bleeding hearts
8 sterbai corydoras
10 amanos

Just make sure you have plenty of filtration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts