The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added an army of amanos to help me beat some filamentous diatoms and they did an excellent job. However they must have exhausted their food source pretty quickly as they have started to eat my AR and AR mini. I also noticed some co2 deficiency signs so most of the leaves now are crumpled/chewholes/GSA spots so im wondering if anyone knows it AR isn't too sensitive to just cut it right at the base of the stems (like an inch above the first set of aerial roots) and let them regrow from there. If I try to just remove the bad leaves it will just be a bare stalk with leaves on top and would look pretty goofy. 2hr Aquarist states AR does not like to be trimmed and replanted and does best when you just trim the plant and discard the trimming. Any thoughts?

PS half of the amanos are getting evicted tonight lol. I'll keep 2 or 3 juvies but the adults gotta go. I wasn't aware they have a bloodthirst for AR. I don't want to start supplementally feeding them more than once a week yet because I'm still dealing with some nuisance algae and spirogyra.

·
Registered
213 Posts
cutting it off just above the aerial roots should increase bushiness. seems like you need to optimize your co2. go back to dennis' site to learn how.

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cutting it off just above the aerial roots should increase bushiness. seems like you need to optimize your co2. go back to dennis' site to learn how.
Yeah im pushing co2 as high as I can. I think I didn't account for my plant mass growing and then upping the light intensity once I beat some of the algae. I didn't think about how that would create a higher co2 demand so I'm paying for it now lol. I clipped off a ton of yucky leaves last night, I may just let it grow and see how it does now that the co2 is higher. I also read that AR leaves tend to come in crumpled when they are new and then they grow into regular form as they get bigger.

·
Registered
213 Posts
turning up the co2 does not mean that it is optimized. it is part of the process, but you need to increase surface agitation too. this prevents co2 from rising to lethal levels. it's all in the 2 hour aquarist.

as far as new leaves being crumpled, yes they do appear so and mature leaves are wavy. i have the variegated rosanervig. the mini's leaves seem to be less wavy.

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
turning up the co2 does not mean that it is optimized. it is part of the process, but you need to increase surface agitation too. this prevents co2 from rising to lethal levels. it's all in the 2 hour aquarist.

as far as new leaves being crumpled, yes they do appear so and mature leaves are wavy. i have the variegated rosanervig. the mini's leaves seem to be less wavy.
I already had adequate surface agitation but I did move my outflow higher when I upped the co2. I probably have too much surface agitation to the point where it gasses off a lot of co2 tbh but the plants love the flow and it keeps my shrimp happy. The tank is a 5 gal shallow as well, so it gets better dissolved oxygen with a shallow footprint. I'm not at all worried about the o2 saturation, I believe I have high co2/o2. I have a bit more than a gentle ripple at the surface. I also have the aquario neoflow set with built in surface skimmer which helps as well.

I did notice that the AR mini doesn't have crumpled new growth as well. I have regular AR, Rosanervig, 'Sunset' and Variegated cultivars. The only one that doesn't crumple is the regular ol AR and the mini.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts