The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have something like a Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green Gecko' that I need to plant in sand covering MGOCPM. Can I cut some off the roots so it will be easier to plant or will it melt if I do that? I think if they melt they come back anyway. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
You can trim the roots of pretty much all plants, just make sure if there is a rhizome it doesn't get damage, in your case you will not have to worry about a rhizome. My general rule of thumb when it comes to trimming plants, and roots, is never take more than half.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I've cut roots on wendtii with minimum melting. You can also twirl the roots into a tight ball and shove it under the substrate.
This has been my approach too. Just straighten, twirl, and shove.

I know it doesn't hurt to prune roots, but I just have something of a mental block against it unless I'm dealing with something that resembles "Cousin It", lol!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
You're actually better off cutting the roots than "twirling them". Used to do it that way myself, but over time I found--on moving the plants again--that the twirled roots died fairly quickly.

Generally rule of thumb used for terrestial plants has given me good results in transplanted swords, crypts and such without melt---match the root prune with an equal amount of leaf pruning. If you cut back 50% of the roots, trim off 50% of the leaf mass.

·
Registered
194 Posts
just go ahead and trim the roots, i do this whenever i get new crypts for my tanks. it shouldnt affect it too much, crypts tend to melt when transferred from tanks so dont worry if you lose some leaves.

also after you trim and plant leave the plant alone for about 2 weeks so it will grow new roots, then put a root tab under it and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I planted the crypt. I've seen both of the ones I have melt completely before. The other one survived the change to dirt so I'm hoping this one will do all right.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I trim the roots of my plants every time I move or replant them, in different tanks or just rescape. Never an issue. My crypts always take over tanks.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts